Monday, April 27, 2009

Tuesday's Together in the Word!


Welcome to Tuesday's Together in the Word. We are a group of women reading through the New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs using the same reading plan and holding each other accountable. On Tuesdays we share what we have gleaned from our time of study in the Word. To join us and to read what others have to share visit DeeDee, we would love for you to join us! You can find a link to our reading plan on my sidebar.

Today I want to share what the Lord showed me through 2 Peter 1:2-11...

2Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord;

3seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.

4For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.

5Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge,

6and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness,

7and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.

8For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

9For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins.

10Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble;

11for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you.


What a great passage this is! It is packed full of great truths! I have studied this passage before, but this time when I read it something I never really noticed before jumped out at me. It is in verse 3, "through the true knowledge of Him"...

It is through the true knowledge of Jesus Christ that we are able to receive from His divine power EVERYTHING pertaining to life and godliness... through the true knowledge of Jesus Christ!

Jesus called us by His own glory and excellence, and by His own glory and excellence He granted us His precious and magnificent promises, so that through the true knowledge of Him we can partake of the divine nature and escape the corruption that is in the world - all through the true knowledge of Him! That is all we need for life and godliness, for becoming partakers of the divine nature, and for escaping the corruption this world caused by lusts. Isn't that good?!

Peter goes on to say, that for this very reason, because through the true knowledge of Him we can partake of the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world by lust, we should be DILIGENT to strive for the following...

  • Our faith should lead us to strive for moral excellence
  • Moral excellence should lead us to seek for knowledge
  • Our knowledge should lead us to have self-control
  • Our self-control should lead us to have perseverance
  • Our perseverance should lead us to strive for godliness
  • Our godliness should cultivate in us brotherly kindness
  • And our brotherly kindness should cultivate in us love...

And Peter says, IF these are ours and are increasing in our lives, they will not render us useless or unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus! If these qualities, which are fruits of the Spirit, are found in our lives, we can know that we have true knowledge of Him!


I just love how this passage takes it full circle, we need the true knowledge of Jesus Christ to escape the corruption of this world and to partake of the divine nature, and it is through the true knowledge of Jesus Christ that these qualities are manifested in our lives. All we need is Jesus! We need to seek Him through His Word, where the true knowledge of Him is found... we need to seek Him with all our hearts, and we need to abide in Him, so He can abide in us and cultivate in us all these qualities which will not render us useless or unfruitful in our knowledge of Him!


Father God, Thank You so for the wonders of Your Word! Thank You that no matter how many times we have read a passage You can always pull out something new and teach us new things about You and Your Son! I pray that you would continue to grant us true knowledge of Jesus, so we can partake of the divine nature and escape the corruption in this world, and so we will always be useful and fruitful in our knowledge of Jesus, to Your glory and honor! In Jesus name, Amen.



post signature

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Hi, Tricia. I just love how I can read a passage over and over again and THINK I have "gotten it". And, then, go back and re-read and God shows me something completely new and different (or, at least, new and different to me).

Blessings!

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

I love how He continually teaches us. And how we can read the same passage over and over and find something new. God is so good to us! I love what you shared today...how we need the true knowledge of Jesus. How beautiful that He works in our lives and grows us as we walk with Him and as we grow in the knowledge of who He is. Thank you for this timely word, sweet friend.

Blessings,
Kelly

Laurie Ann said...

Wow. I love how you expanded on this and detailed how it does come full circle. Excellent post!

June said...

Thanks you so much for reminded us again of the wonders of His word.
It is new every morning.

Peace,

June

DeeDee said...

I too like this :
I just love how this passage takes it full circle, we need the true knowledge of Jesus Christ to escape the corruption of this world and to partake of the divine nature, and it is through the true knowledge of Jesus Christ that these qualities are manifested in our lives. All we need is Jesus!

That is good Tricia! All we need it Jesus!
Blessings!

Alleluiabelle said...

Tricia,

WOW! This is so powerful!

I loved how you summed it up, "All we need is Jesus! We need to seek Him through His Word, where the true knowledge of Him is found... we need to seek Him with all our hearts, and we need to abide in Him, so He can abide in us and cultivate in us all these qualities which will not render us useless or unfruitful in our knowledge of Him!"

I need say no more. It's right there. I get filled every time I come here Tricia, every time.

Thank you dear friend for encouraging, inspiring and teaching me more through your interpretation of the Scriptures.

Much love,
Alleluiabelle

Meredith said...

I thought I had already commented on this, but I guess I didn't. I love how it comes back around and you summed it all up so well in the bullet points. It is comforting to know that we will not be "useless" or "unfruitful" while increasing our knowledge of Him. An eternal byproduct of our obedience!!