Friday, April 17, 2009

Tuesday's Together in the Word! on Friday...

Welcome to Tuesday's Together in the Word... even though today is Friday, we can still be together in the Word! My week has been busy but I did still want to do this post... We are a group of women reading through the New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs using the same reading plan and holding each other accountable. On Tuesdays we share what we have gleaned from our time of study in the Word. To join us and to read what others have to share visit DeeDee, we would love for you to join us! You can find a link to our reading plan on my sidebar.


I want to share from Mark 9:49-50:

"For everyone will be salted with fire. Salt is good; but if the salt becomes unsalty, with what will you make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another."


I did some research on these verses... I am familiar with the analogy of salt that is used throughout the scriptures, but really wanted to find out what Jesus meant when He said "everyone will be salted with fire."

From the commentaries I read and from reading the study notes in my various Bibles, and looking at different translations, I derived the following...

We become salty by spending time in the Word, in prayer, and in fellowship with our Lord. The saltiness of Him rubs off on us, and makes us "tasty" to those who are hungry for Him. The things we say and do for others share the "salt".

The "salted with fire" refers to believers becoming more salty and more effective in their ministry for Him by going through trials and sufferings. There are some things our Lord and Savior desires for us to learn that we can only learn in the fire. So the "fire" makes us "salty" when we allow the fire to draw us closer to Him, to make us more dependent on Him, and to make us long for only Him...

So if you are going through trials, ask God to help you learn what He is trying to teach you, and submit to becoming more salty for Him... the salt in those wounds may hurt a bit, but it will be worth every bit of pain and discomfort in order to grow in your faith and dependence on Him. Then you will be even more "salty" as you go forth to share what mighty things the Lord has done for you!

post signature

3 comments:

Alleluiabelle said...

This is such a good word today. It makes sense though. If we salt something it usually makes it taste even better and if we add salt to our wounds, it makes it hurt worse, but it heals us faster. May we all be as salty as we can be in Him and for Him.

Thank you Tricia. This was a great post.

If you stop by my site, I have a surprise waiting there for you.

Love & Hugs,
Alleluiabelle

Laurie Ann said...

I'm so glad you posted. Tremendously blessed by this post, Tricia. I am in the fire right now with my knee. I know there is a lesson for me in this and I'm praying that I don't lose my saltiness. This was very encouraging!

Raye Ann said...

O.K. Wow how God works. I really, really needed this today. How things are changing all around me. Boy are we in the fire right now. Funny though I can see the flames all around me, but what I feel many times is the peace of God, and not the heat.

Blessings