
Welcome to Tuesday's Together in the Word. We are a group of women reading through the New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs using the same reading plan and holding each other accountable. On Tuesdays we share what we have gleaned from our time of study in the Word. To join us and to read what others have to share visit DeeDee, we would love for you to join us! You can find a link to our reading plan on my sidebar.
Today I will be sharing a bit from 1 Peter, chapters 1 and 2.
I noticed in 1 Peter 1:1, that Peter wrote this letter "to those who reside as aliens", and to those "who are chosen." The word alien means a stranger, a sojourner. Do you ever feel like an alien in this world? I certainly do at times! But you know what, we were chosen to be aliens here!
In 1 Peter 2:9-11 the following is stated:
But you are:
A chosen race
A royal priesthood
A holy nation
A people for God's own possession
Why?A royal priesthood
A holy nation
A people for God's own possession
So that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light!
You once were NOT - a people,
BUT...
Now you are THE PEOPLE OF GOD!
You had NOT received mercy,
BUT...
Now you HAVE RECEIVED MERCY!
BUT...
Now you are THE PEOPLE OF GOD!
You had NOT received mercy,
BUT...
Now you HAVE RECEIVED MERCY!
Peter then urges us "as aliens and strangers to abstain from fleshly lusts, which wage war against the soul. Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may on account of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation." 1 Peter 2:11-12
The very things for which people see us as aliens, and for which we feel we are aliens, are the things that will cause the unbelievers to glorify God in the day of His visitation. I just have to say, I am seeing this as another reversal of destiny! The things for which we undergo persecution and suffering are the very things that one day will cause those who have not believed to glorify God! What a mighty and amazing and redeeming God we serve!!
Father God, How I thank you for choosing me to be your alien here on earth at such a time as this! Thank You that You have chosen me for your very own possession, so that I may proclaim Your excellencies and tell of the redeeming work You have so graciously done in my life! Thank You that You will take the things that cause us to face suffering and persecution, and one day use them to bring You glory! I continue to stand in awe of You! Thank You so much for loving me, especially when I am unlovable... In Jesus' name, Amen!













5 comments:
I love studying I Peter... Look forward to even more this week.
We are aliens in this world... Oh but what is coming...:) and I love how you related it to our Esther Study - and the reversal of Destiny :)
That is good Tricia!
See you soon :)
Oh, Amen and Amen! I loved it!
Tricia, you are like me,...I love to get up early and have quiet reflection. I love when I do it,...I get out of sync sometimes,..but you have encouraged me to resume it. I have been staying up too late, and for this gal to rise early I HAVE to go to bed early!
I love being one of God's chosen ones. One that has received His mercy. Hallelujah!
I am thankful! (I liked your thankfulness list from "Thankful Thursday",you are precious,...and so are your boys.)
Have a great day!
Linda
Wonderful! Loved this, sister. I often feel like an alien in this world. And, we are aliens...for now. But your words (His words) are so true...and how we hold on to the promise He has for us. Thanks so much for this great post!
Love and Prayers,
Kelly
You are one of my favorite chosen aliens....heehee
Love you!
Meredith
Post a Comment