Sunday, October 26, 2008

"No Higher Calling"

On Wednesday nights I am going through the book, "Lies Young Women Believe, and the Truth that Sets Them Free" by Nancy Leigh DeMoss, with a group of young ladies in our youth. This past week was our last chapter covering specific lies that she has been targeting, and it focused on lies about the future. I left church Wednesday night with a grieved heart, as it seems that all the girls in my class (at least the ones that were present Wednesday night) have fallen for one of the lies of the enemy; one that I was very much surprised and shocked that they had fallen for...

The Lie - A career outside the home is more valuable and fulfilling than being a wife and mother.

I started off the class asking the girls if they had dreams for their future, and where they saw themselves in 5 and ten years. Some girls stated that they wanted to go to college, and many named specific jobs or careers they would like to have. I had to ask if they saw themselves married and being a mom... not one single girl stated that she desired to be a wife and mother until I asked about it! This just floored me! I asked if any of them thought they would like to be a stay at home mom. Here are a few responses I received...

  • No, stay at home moms are lazy...
  • I would be bored if I stayed at home all day...
  • I don't like being home all day, what would I do...

The wind was knocked out of me... I am a stay at home mom. I am not lazy, I definitely am not bored, and there is plenty to do, and often I do not feel I have the time to do all I desire to do. But I absolutely love being a stay at home mommy!

So I shared some of my story with them... I shared that I am a SAHM, and that it is the hardest and most difficult job I have ever had, but it is also the most rewarding. I shared that prior to having children I worked as a speech-language pathologist and how that was and is a very rewarding career, as you actually get to see how your interventions help people. I shared how I do not miss my "work" at all, and am more fulfilled now than I was when I had a career. I shared that it is ALL about priorities, that they will never be completely fulfilled in their "work" unless they are doing what God called and created them to do.

We dug into the scriptures and looked at verses from Genesis, 1 Corinthians, Titus, and Proverbs, regarding why women were created and what our God-ordained purpose is. Satan's lie was exposed for what is it, a lie and deception! The Truth from God's Word was revealed...

The Truth - In the will of God, there is no higher calling for a woman than being a wife and mother, serving her family, and devoting her attention and efforts to ministering to the needs of her husband and children.


I do not think any "light bulbs" went off in these young ladies heads. I do not think they had an instant change of heart about their desires for their futures, but I do know that the lie was exposed and the Truth was presented with clarity.


This has really burdened my heart... for you see, I have 2 boys, and am already praying for their future wives. But this has opened my eyes to how much more I need to be praying for their future wives, that they would grow up with a desire to be a Godly wife and mother, that they would have a heart to serve their husband out of their love for the Lord, and that they would know God's Word for themselves and know and embrace the calling of being a wife and a mother.
And I need to raise my boys to embrace their calling, to be the spiritual leaders of their homes, to be providers for their families, to love their wives as Christ loves the church, and to seek and desire a Godly young lady for their wife who has and will continue to embrace the "higher calling" of being a wife and mother. What a hard job we have before us...



post signature

5 comments:

Mitzi said...

Wow! I wish I could of been there to back you up. I desire to be able to be a SAHM. With hubby wanting to be full time ministry, it is doubtful that I will be able to soon. If he is ever FT, I would definitely desire to be a SAHM,home-school, and be home to support him and his ministry. My priorities have definitely changed since I have never wanted what I desire now. Young girls need to be taught to seek God's will. You are doing a great job with this study and I know that you are impacting these young lives.

Michelle C. said...

They won't have a light bulb moment for at least 5 or 10 years. It's okay. When they do- they'll think back and remember your lesson and your story. I was probably the same way back then- actually, I was the same way until a few years ago. Not that I ever thought that SAHM's were lazy- but some of the other LIES were more powerful- make money, be somebody, contribute to the family. All of these lies have been torn down in my life as well as I realize God made me to be a help-meet. I do my best. Some days are better than others. Being a SAHM is THE hardest job in the world. Somedays I want to go back to work to take a break from the HARDEST job I've ever had!

Heaven said...

What an insightful post. As a single mother, my only option is to work outside the home. But I remember when I was a SAHM, homeschooled, and was everything my husband needed. It was fullfilling, yet at times, very trying. Unfortunately, as someone else commented, girls are made to believe that it's all about money, significance, etc. (I like the idea of praying for my sons' future wives.) God chose you for this journey with these young ladies and what He's called you to do, He will also equip you! Keep pressing on. Sometimes it takes the same message a few times to get through. Blessings!

Heaven said...

What an insightful post. As a single mother, my only option is to work outside the home. But I remember when I was a SAHM, homeschooled, and was everything my husband needed. It was fullfilling, yet at times, very trying. Unfortunately, as someone else commented, girls are made to believe that it's all about money, significance, etc. (I like the idea of praying for my sons' future wives.) God chose you for this journey with these young ladies and what He's called you to do, He will also equip you! Keep pressing on. Sometimes it takes the same message a few times to get through. Blessings!

DeeDee said...

so glad that you are there teaching them. Even when you think they are not listening - they will remember later in their life. (Probably when they have a precious child of their own). But you can rest in knowing that you have done good in planting a seed for them. And remember that God's Word will not return void.
Sweet Blessings to you!
Keep on Keeping on!
~dd