Monday, June 9, 2008

New Books & Random Thoughts...

I have started reading a couple of new books and wanted to share them with all of you.

The first is a great devotional geared towards moms of little ones, "Ordinary Mom, Extraordinary God" (Encouragement to Refresh your Soul) by Mary E. DeMuth. I have only read the 1st 2 devotionals in this book but they have been wonderful. She uses her life with her little ones as her springboard and shares how God has spoken to and ministered to her through her children. She gives very practical applications, I have loved it so far.

The second book is one that was recommended by our pastor for the entire church to read, it is "Crazy Love" (Overwhelmed by a relentless God) by Francis Chan. This is one that I have had to make myself put down, it is very good and I believe it is going to change my relationship with my Lord for the better. I will probably share more when I get deeper into the book.

Last night as I was reading Crazy Love I was directed to think about the magnificence and the greatness of our God. The author wants us to come to a greater realization of how big and how awesome our God is. He is HUGE, He is MIGHTY, He is the ULTIMATE CREATOR, He is bigger and more magnificent than we can even get our minds around.

So all this was in my thoughts this morning as I had my quiet time, and I read the following: "For He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust. As for man, his days are like grass; as a flower of the field, so he flourishes." Psalm 103:14-15

We are like dust... dust, that stuff we wipe off our furniture before people come to visit. That is what we are like, basically we are nothing, just some dust that can be wiped away in an instant...

Yet, the amazing Creator God of this universe has chosen to pursue us with a relentless love, with a love so strong that He would allow His only Son to die a horrible death on the cross so that we can come to Him. He longs to have a personal, intimate relationship with me and with you. He is acquainted with all of my ways, He knows when I sit down and when I rise up, and when every other single person on this earth does too! Even though I am just a speck of dust, the God of this universe longs for me to know Him and to love and worship Him; and that is what I am determined to do, with all my heart, soul, and mind.

What about you? Will you join me on this journey to know God more and love Him more?

post signature


4 comments:

DeeDee said...

great post Tricia...
This would hve been good for "holding on"..
:)

Krista said...

Sounds like a couple of good books. I have my copy of "Crazy Love" and I am going to start it tonight when Drew goes to bed. Great post! Love ya girl!

Deborah said...

I love books that make you think about your own relationship with Christ. I'm reading a advance reader's copy of a book my company is releasing, Forsaken. It's fiction, about a famous preacher whose daughter is kidnapped. He must deny Christ on TV to get his daughter back. I'm hoping to finish it up in the next couple of days. It's really made me question...what would I do..would I have the faith to let my child die instead of denying Christ?

Melanie said...

Wow, Tricia.. this is a great post! I am right there with you on the journey to become closer to our Lord.

I love that you will be doing a class with youth about the lies we are told. I think our youth need to have that message repeated to them on a regular basis.. they are up against so much in this world today. Please feel free to share my post if you feel it would help bring home the message to these young girls. I'll be praying they hear God's word through you.