Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year's Intentions...


This year, 2oo9, instead of coming up with lots of resolutions, the Lord has really been speaking to my heart about focusing on living intentionally. Webster defines intention as: a determination to act in a certain way; a synonym of intention is purpose. I want to live intentionally, I want to live my life with purpose, every day, every moment of my day. So many days this past year I have just felt like I was in survival mode. I just wanted to make it through the day; so I went through the motions, and did what I needed to do to just "get through" my day. At the end of days like that I do not feel fulfilled or satisfied with myself. I desire for my life to have meaning and purpose, not to just be lived to be lived.

So I am determined that 2009 will be my year to begin living more intentionally. I desire to intentionally be a servant to my husband and my children. I desire to have a purpose, an eternal one, for the things I do; the activities I get involved in, the things I do with and for my family, and most importantly in my relationship with my Lord and Savior. I desire this year to focus primarily on my relationship with my Lord and my family, and to not get so weighted down with all the extra things, even though they may be good things, that can easily fill our schedules and calendars.

In light of all this, I will be intentional about memorizing scripture this year. My goal is 2 new verses a month. And you can join Beth Moore and countless other women as we all strive to fill our minds and hearts with His Word, allowing it to change us, teach us, convict us, and make us more like Jesus.

I will also be joining DeeDee for Tuesday's Together in the Word. We will be following the same Bible reading plan and sharing weekly about what we have learned through our readings that week. Please visit her and join us if this sounds like something you would like to do with us!

I plan to be intentional in taking care of myself, eating healthy and getting exercise (continuing to run, I have grown to love it!) and encouraging and enabling my family to do the same.

And I plan to be intentional in serving my husband and children with a cheerful heart and a good attitude. I desire to have a gentle and quiet spirit as I go about my days, and to be under the control of His Holy Spirit.

I also desire to be intentional in reaching out to and ministering to others that the Lord places in my path and lays upon my heart. There are so many people who are hurting or are overwhelmed in life right now that just need a word of encouragement, a hug, phone call, or card to know that someone cares, or just a helping hand to help ease their load. I desire to be more obedient to the Lord when He prompts me to reach out to others.

I want to live intentionally for Jesus this year... what about you?

post signature

8 comments:

DeeDee said...

sounds great...
i am glad to be on this journey with you!
Sweet Blessings,
DeeDee

Marsha said...

That was my word for 08. This year is order. There are areas of my life I need to get into order.

Have a blessed evening with your little ones.

Anonymous said...

Tricia, I love your blog! I too want to be "intentional" about Jesus. I started Beth Moore's study on Jesus yesterday. I want to fall in love with Him all over again!

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

Amen Tricia...my prayer is to live intentionally too!

But it looks as if my journey this year is going to begin with 'self-control', a fruit of the spirit that I am greatly lacking in.

Happy New Year!

Lori said...

One the prayers I prayed last year was for the Lord help me get out of "survival mode" I felt I went from one fire to another. I loved reading about living intentionally, I to desire that also in 2009.

Thank you for participating. Happy New Years.

Shauna said...

~HAPPY NEW YEAR~ Just wanted to remind you the Happy New Year offer ends Mon. Jan. 5th at noon for the free 8x10 print. Spread the word for people to post and e-mail David Bowman by then :) Have a beautiful Sunday! ♥ Hugs! Shauna

Bonnie said...

What a great way to focus on a new year. To live intentionally... While I didn't use that word directly, I think that was my 2008. More focused, fewer "yes just to say yes" obligations and more focus on what God wanted from me. May He bless your intentions as He blessed me!!! More. Thanks for sharing.

Lil' This...Lil' That... said...

Hello. I found your site via Laurel's Reflections. I can't tell you how scary it was to read your post. It was EVERYTHING I was thinking and feeling. I am in the process of posting my findings as I comment to you. Being "intentional" in my day to day life is something I am committing to as well. I've linked back to you concerning this. God bless you on your journey! Happy 2009!