
Today I wanted to share some insights I gleaned from the Psalms during the past week's Bible readings. We had to read Psalm 3, 4, and 5, all on the same day, and I saw a recurrent theme running through all 3. I am reading from the NASB and all bold is my own emphasis.
"O LORD, How my adversaries have increased! Many are rising up against me. Many are saying of my soul, there is no deliverance for him in God. Selah. But Thou, O LORD, art a shield about me, my glory, and the One who lifts my head. I was crying to the LORD with my voice, and He answered me from His Holy mountain. Selah I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the Lord sustains me." Psalm 3:1-5
"Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! Thou hast relieved me in my distress; Be gracious to me and hear my prayer. .... But know that the LORD has set apart the godly man for Himself; the Lord hears when I call to Him. ... Thou hast put gladness in my heart more than when their grain and new wine abound. In peace I will both lie down and sleep. For thou alone, O Lord, dost make me to dwell in safety." Psalm 4:1,3,7-8
"Give ear to my words, O LORD, Consider my groaning. Heed the sound of my cry for help, my King and my God, for to Thee do I pray. In the morning, O LORD, Thou wilt hear my voice; in the morning I will order my prayer to Thee and eagerly watch. ... But let all who take refuge in Thee be glad, let them ever sing for joy; and mayest Thou shelter them, that those who love Thy name may exult in Thee. For it is Thou who dost bless the righteous man, O LORD, Thou dost surround him with favor as with a shield." Psalm 5:1-3, 11-12
My attention was drawn to the worry and distress that David expressed, until he cried to the Lord. After crying to the Lord out loud, after praying, groaning, and crying for help, the Lord, his King and his God, answered him from His Holy mountain! How wonderful is that! Our Lord can and will answer our cries for help straight from His Holy mountain! He can hear us up there! I find that amazing and very comforting...
It gets even better! I next noticed what happened after David prayed and cried out to the Lord... he received peace! In Psalm 3, immediately after praying and God answering him from His Holy mountain, David was able to lie down and sleep, his mind was no longer on what was causing him worry and distress. In Psalm 4, the Lord put gladness in his heart rather than anxiety, and once again he was able to lie down and sleep in peace. In Psalm 5, God surrounds him with favor as with a shield and he was able to sing for joy and exult in God!
What amazing things God can do in our hearts and lives... what amazing changes He can cause to take place in our attitudes and hearts, all when we cry out to Him and eagerly watch and wait for Him. Nothing about David's circumstances had changed, but he had shifted his focus from his circumstances to His God, and He received peace, comfort, and joy!
Join me in calling out to our Lord when life is shouting at us, wanting to cause us worry and distress, and instead, experience His peace, comfort, and joy, even in the very midst of all that hard stuff.
Father God, Thank you so much that we have the privilege of crying out to You, and thank you even more that You hear us from Your Holy mountain, and that you answer. How I praise you for sending your peace, comfort, and joy to me during the hard times of my life! How I praise you that you are always faithful, all I have to do is call. Help me to quickly call to you when the hard things of life come my way, so I can walk through them with your peace, comfort, and joy. Thank you so much for your Word and that I can meet you, my Living God, there in the pages of the Bible. In Jesus name, Amen!
To see what the Lord is speaking to others through their daily Bible readings head on over to DeeDee's! And we would love to have you join us!
On a totally different note, if you are praying for any of the families I have listed on my sidebar, I have updated Josiah's with an updated request, please check it out and keep this precious little one and his family in your prayers, thanks so much!













3 comments:
We serve an Amazing God don't we? He hears the deepest groans and faintest cries of our souls and He comforts us, restores us and loves us.
Great post!
Tricia,
Oh, what an unspeakable gift that He...the almighty, all-powerful God of the universe... hears our cries when we call out to Him in despair! And, even more, that He answers! Thank you for this post, and for reminding us of the love and mercy we find in Him...to meet our every need.
In His Grace,
Kelly
I love the part about the sweet peace - when we cry out to him.
Good Stuff, Tricia!
Sweet Blessings
~dd
Post a Comment