Monday, July 7, 2008

Your Very Great Reward!

"I am.... your very great reward." This is what God spoke to Abraham after he refused to take "goods" in exchange for "people" as offered by the king of Sodom. He refused this because he had "sworn to the LORD God Most High, possessor of heaven and earth, that I will not take a thread or a sandal thong or anything that is yours, lest you should say, 'I have made Abraham rich.'" Genesis 14:22-23;15:1

I am doing a Bible study entitled "No Other Gods, confronting our modern-day idols" by Kelly Minter, and she poses a question that I wanted to pose to all of you: Is God enough? Are you satisfied with just God Himself and nothing else?

Or do you need

  • God plus the nice big house and the nice new car...
  • God plus the perfect Godly husband...
  • God plus the always obedient and respectful children...
  • God plus the latest fashions and home furnishings...
  • God plus lots of friends and social events...

Are you, and myself included, so satisfied and content with our relationship with God that we do not need, or can I go so far as to even say, want, His blessings that He showers us with so graciously?


Dear Heavenly Father, May you make us desire You more than anything else in this world, more than the blessings You send our way. Make us so hungry and thirsty for You that nothing else satisfies and nothing else lures us. May we find all of our satisfaction, contentment, and fulfillment in our relationship with You. In Jesus' precious name, Amen.

post signature

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Tricia, I love this post! I do want for God to be enough. I do want for Him to be all that I need. I join you in your prayer.

Blessings, my friend!

Unknown said...

Bam! Straight to the heart. Love it. Thanks for aiming true, and pointing us all in the right direction. I am going to have to get my hands on that book.

Krista said...

Very good question, "Am I satisfied in Him only?" It challenges me to be satified in Him only and something to work toward. Thank you for your encouragement!

Pondering, Krista

Tea with Tiffany said...

God has asked me over and over again, "Am I enough?" And often I confess, "I want you to be. But no, you aren't." I want more. Ouch.

Truth be told, there is no greater reward than knowing him. I know that, I've experienced that, but yet discontent soon follows trying to steal my sweet spot with my Lord.

Great post. And I've seen Kelly Minter sing. Great artist and sounds like great heart.

Thanks.
Tiffany

Krista said...

Thanks for the comment, Tricia and for the reminder that God controls our time. While I know that I know that (LOL) sometimes I unconsciously cast the knowledge aside. I find myself so busy in the mornings and I push myself to get things done and then later feel stressed because I need some QT.

You are such a precious friend!
Contemplating QT,
Krista