Was Jesus organized and on a schedule or was He spontaneous and flexible?
I am a very organized person and like to have a schedule, but lately I have felt like I am a little too tied to my schedule. When things have come up to throw me off schedule or to mess it up altogether, I have found myself getting extremely stressed and irritated, which is not a response consistent with what God would have me to have.
I am a list maker. I make a to-do list for the week and for each day, with chores I need to get done around the house and just other stuff. I find great fulfillment from marking things off those lists! Sometimes I even add things I have already done that weren't on my list just so I can mark them off! Does anyone else do that? It makes me feel like I have accomplished something to mark lots of things off my list (like today I have the dishwasher running already, I have stripped all the beds of their sheets, and I have a load of laundry going).
But back to my question... I do think Jesus was somewhat organized and on a schedule, he was about His Father's business and had a mission to accomplish. I think He knew what steps He needed to take to get there and did what He needed to do to accomplish what His Father sent Him to do. But I also think He was available to those things that may have thrown Him off schedule a bit. He was available for those divine appointments God sent His way, He did not let them stress Him out and He did not run from them or ignore them.
So I think there is a balance there... we can have our plans and our schedules, but we need to lay them down at the feet of our Savior, offer them to Him daily as our sacrifice to Him, and see what divine interruptions and appointments He sends our way, and then we need to welcome them into our lives, not fight them off or do them grudgingly.
I did this last week. Every day during my morning devotions I would offer the Lord my life, my time, my agenda and my schedule. And do you know what happened, he sent many divine appointments and interruptions into my life, all of which were a blessing. At times I had to remind myself to joyfully and willingly accept God's plans for my day over my own, and when I did the stress and frustration would leave, and I was able to enjoy doing what my Lord and Savior had for me that day. And do you know what else, because I sacrificed for Him, He provided the time I needed for me to get many things done on my to do lists, but the things that did not get done really did not bother me or stress me out.
So what about you? Do you think Jesus was organized and on a schedule or was He spontaneous and flexible? I would love to hear what you have to say!













6 comments:
Hi Tricia,
This is a great thought provoking post. I, too, like a plan. And I like lists, but have steered away from them lately. I find satisfaction crossing things off. I like to accomplish something everyday. Interruptions can drive me bonkers, especially when I procrastinate and then have to be productive under deadline.
Thanks for the reminder to be okay with the divine interruptions. I'm all for balance. My life can get so out of balance if I am not mindful. Glad God blessed you with time to complete tasks and time with Him.
And thanks for weighing in on my devo on Laced with Grace. Glad to know I am not alone in my desire to connect and experience God with others.
In His Grip,
Tiffany
What an interesting question. It is so easy to get caught up with all the daily chores we need to get done, but I have been reminded that Jesus' life was about people. His life was lived simply and ours today seem to be so complicated.
I always go back to Jesus' conversation with Mary and Martha and try to keep that as my perpective, but it's not always easy.
I think you are right when you said that we need to find a balance and be watchful for those divine appointments that God sends.
Thank you for that reminder! Sometimes it's hard for me to remember that an interruption may be a divine appointment. I live and breath by a schedule too and interruptions are sometimes a welcomed relief and other times, I feel inconvenienced.
I know that is an area I struggle with! I needed to read that today.
Krista
Wow, Tricia! I really like this question... so thought provoking. I'm alot like you in that I have my lists and I like to stick to them and mark things off as they are accomplished. I don't always handle disruptions to that list of accomplishments either. This is one of the areas that I have really been struggling with over the last year or so. I WANT to be more flexible and I really think I enjoy life more when I am flexible and don't let myself get so tired to my lists of things that I feel need to be done.
I'll definitely be spending some time in prayer and thought on this questions... it definitely dovetails perfectly into some areas I've been trying to focus on lately.
Thanks for such a thought provoking post!
Blessings to you today, my friend!
What an interesting question!
You and I are very much the same in that I too find great fulfillment from marking projects off my lists (and yes, I add other things I've done so that I can mark those off, too!)
Likewise, I can become frustrated when my plans or schedule are interrupted. My initial reaction often is not a good one. Eventually, I come around...sometimes sooner, sometimes later. This post has challenged me to sacrifice my daily schedule, my project list, my plan in exchange for what God may send my way.
I'm asking that He help me have a right response to changes in my plans immediately.
Like Sharon, I too thought of the example of Mary and Martha.
Thanks again for giving us this very interesting question to consider...
Blessings,
Tracy
i am totally different from everyone here- I struggle because I don't use lists and I don't like to be scheduled. I like flexibility and don't get so bent out of shape when I don't get things done. I think Jesus only schedule was to do the work and will of the Father. I think He olny consisstently scheduled His prayer time with God so He could prepare with what ever appointments God sent His way. Even though I believe He may have had an advantage over us in that He already knew what was coming HIs way so maybe He didn't need to schedule. Great thought.
Post a Comment