Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tuesday's Together in the Word!


Welcome to Tuesday's Together in the Word... We are a group of women reading through the New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs using the same reading plan and holding each other accountable. On Tuesdays we share what we have gleaned from our time of study in the Word. To join us and to read what others have to share visit DeeDee, we would love for you to join us! You can find a link to our reading plan on my sidebar.

This past week we were reading in 2 Timothy... it ALL was so good and spoke to me about so many different aspects of life that I can not possibly share everything that spoke to me. So... I am going to try to share several "nuggets" today.

Let's start with 2 Timothy 2:3-4

Suffer hardship with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 4No soldier in active service entangles himself in the affairs of everyday life, so that he may please the one who enlisted him as a soldier. (emphasis mine)

Which led me to 2 Peter 2:20

For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world by the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and are overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first. 21For it would be better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn away from the holy commandment handed on to them. (emphasis mine)

As a child of God, I am an active soldier in His service... I am not to get entangled in the things of everyday life. I am not to be drawn back into the things of the flesh or of the world... my mind and my life are to be focused solely on Him and how I may please Him.

Father God, I ask that you please show me any areas of my life where I may be or are in danger of becoming entangled in the things of this world, of everyday life, and please help me to get my focus back on You and serving You so that I please You rather than get entangled. In Jesus name, Amen
.


Now let's move along to 2 Timothy 2:7:

Consider what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything.


That is just a good nugget to have in your mind, and to use in prayer when you need understanding... He has said He will give us understanding in everything! How wonderful is that!!

Go down just a bit further in 2 Timothy to verses 9-13:


for which I suffer hardship even to imprisonment as a criminal; but the word of God is not imprisoned.

10For this reason I endure all things for the sake of those who are chosen, so that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus and with it eternal glory.

11It is a trustworthy statement:
For if we died with Him, we will also live with Him;
12If we endure, we will also reign with Him;
If we deny Him, He also will deny us;
13If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.

(emphasis mine)


More good stuff... the Word of God is not imprisoned, another translation I read said it is not chained... Nothing can bind or prevent the Word of God from going forth and doing what God sent it forth to do... that is so encouraging to me!

And for that very reason Paul endures all things, so that others may obtain salvation. And then he gives us a trustworthy statement... if we die with Christ, we WILL live with Him! If we endure, we WILL reign with Him! If we deny Him... He will also deny us... And even if we are without faith, He always is faithful! More wonderful truths to cling tight too...

And just a few more...

2 Timothy 4:16-18:

At my first defense no one supported me, but all deserted me; may it not be counted against them.

17But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that through me the proclamation might be fully accomplished, and that all the Gentiles might hear; and I was rescued out of the lion's mouth.

18The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed, and will bring me safely to His heavenly kingdom; to Him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.


These verses are just precious to me... I went through an experience approximately about a year ago where I had to stand up for the Lord and for righteousness, and I felt I was standing all alone... until the Lord showed me this verse. And I can truly say that He did stand with me and strengthen me... He is so very faithful, and He takes care of His own.


And just one more passage, Psalm 31:19-20, 23-24

How great is Your goodness,
Which You have stored up for those who fear You,
Which You have wrought for those who take refuge in You,
Before the sons of men!
20You hide them in the secret place of Your presence from the conspiracies of man;
You keep them secretly in a shelter from the strife of tongues.

Oh the goodness of God! He has stored up His goodness for those who fear Him, for those who take refuge in Him. He hides them in the secret place of His presence... He hides them from the conspiracies of men, and from the strife of tongues. Do you fear God? Do you take refuge in Him? If so you can rejoice in His goodness that He has stored up for YOU! Isn't that wonderful!

And I want to close with these verses from Psalm 31:23-24:

O love the LORD, all you His godly ones!
The LORD preserves the faithful
And fully recompenses the proud doer.
24Be strong and let your heart take courage,
All you who hope in the LORD.


Thank you Father God, that You preserve those who are Yours. Thank You that we can be strong in You, and that in You are hearts can take courage. And thank You for that hope that can be found in You! Thank You for Your Word, what a mighty and priceless treasure it is! In Jesus name, Amen!



post signature

8 comments:

Meredith said...

I really liked the word "entangled" when I was doing this reading. It reminded me of a fishing net. I am encouraged that he remains faithful even when we are entangled.
Beautiful post! Thank you Tricia for sharing your nuggets!

Tea with Tiffany said...

Love your thoughts about us being soldiers. I often think of this myself.

And like Meredith, I loved the entangled thoughts. I can get entangled if I don't guard my heart.

Have a wonderful day!
Hugs,
Tiffany

Krista said...

Tricia, those verses were for me today! It's so easy to get caught up in LIFE; entangled. What great encouragement these verses are. I am so grateful for you and for our friendship!

Just wanted to stop by and show my love!

Blessed,
Krista

Laurie Ann said...

Precious thoughts, Tricia! Great post! I'm really enjoying reading through the Word and seeing what the others who are reading along have to say.

Anonymous said...

Tricia,
I really was enriched by your thoughts today about the scriptures you are studying. It is so amazing how we all can relate our lives so much to what the scriptures say. It is His book written for us. It has always been my desire to be as totally focused on the Lord as I can be so that the fleshly ways of this world don't weigh be down as much as they can. God certainly knows what I have been through. You are a great encouragement to me every time a read your postings. I get filled up here.

Hugs & Blessings,
Alleluiabelle

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Oh...there were so many nuggets in His Word this week!! So hard to choose. The scripture you shared about being entangled in the affairs of everyday life really spoke to me as well. It is a daily battle (that I often lose) to keep from being "entangled" and distracted with the fleshly demands of the day. I'm so grateful that our God is faithful...even when we are faithless....that His strength is made perfect in our weakness. Thank you for this post. Your prayers are the prayers of my own heart as well.

Love in Him,
Kelly

Linda said...

Tricia, Thanks for all the truths you shared and for the challenge to not get entangled again in the net of sin.

Your loving post shows me the heart that you have for God. I am going to become a follower of your blog tonight.

I have been so blessed by joining in on Tuesdays Together in the Word today.

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

DeeDee said...

Tricia,
I knew there would be some shared from Timothy. So much good stuff to apply (really apply) to our lives this week.
You bless me!
Thanks!