Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.
Romans 12:4-5
Romans 12:4-5
Last week I fell, on the hard black asphalt, while out for my morning run on Tuesday, and scraped up both palms and my left knee pretty bad. My injuries have made me realize how important every single part of our body is. I never really thought much about my palms until this past week... but now I have come to truly appreciate and be thankful for this part of my hands that I hardly ever paid attention to before. We use our hands all day long, and whether or not you realize it, your palms are extremely useful... you should be thankful for them!
I have been very much aware of the tasks that typically involve my palms, because now those tasks cause me pain... washing the dishes, carrying and balancing things in my hands, bathing my children, cooking dinner, drying and curling my hair, even hugging my husband and kids, and picking up my kids... things I would normally do without even thinking, now require more thought and effort because I am trying to think of a way to do it without causing further pain to my injuries.
I also am doctoring my injuries daily in an attempt to help them to heal quicker... I pay more attention to the injured part of my body... my physical body.
This prompted me to think about the body of Christ... we are all members of one body, the body of Christ, and when one of us is hurting or injured, it should effect the rest of us. It should cause us to pay that member of the body more attention, in prayer, in ministry, in reaching out and showing we care, in helping that member through their time of hurt and pain, and eventually to aid in their healing. But how often do we do this...
I think all too often we hear of or see someone hurting and we turn our heads or go in the other direction. Why? Maybe because their hurt or pain makes us uncomfortable, maybe because we do not want to be bothered, maybe we just do not know what to say or do... But I think the best thing we can do is to at least show that member that we care, take some extra time to go out of your way to minister to them... in word, deed, and/or thought...
I know personally that sometimes I just want to know that others care. I recently experienced the very unexpected death of a loved one, I was hurting deeply, and I wanted badly to know that others cared. I did not keep silent, I shared my hurt and my pain, and I went to church the Sunday after it happened, expecting and needing words of comfort and compassion, heartfelt hugs, and just love from the family of God... but I left church that day even more broken and hurt, because it seemed that everyone stayed away from us... we received no kind and compassionate words, no hugs...
I went back to church that night, still very much hurting and needing to know that someone cared; and God graciously sent two precious ladies across my path to hug on me and talk to me, to minister to me... they did not say or do anything profound or grand, they just hugged me and let me know they cared and they were hurting with me. They may not even remember it, but I do...
I share all of this just to say, ask God to open your eyes, as I have asked Him to open mine, to those hurting in the body of Christ. I dare to say there are countless ones who are hurting right now, for many different reasons, and they long to know that someone within the body of Christ cares. Take that extra 5 minutes to stop and speak to them, to give them a hug, to send them a card, or pick up the phone and call them. It may seem like a little thing to you, but I promise it will be huge to them, and to God. God uses His people to administer comfort and love to those in His flock, allow Him to work through you to touch those hurting in your path...
I also want to encourage you to not let your hurts keep you from being a part of the body of Christ. I could have easily decided not to go back to church after my heart was wounded, and I would have missed out on the blessing of being loved on by those 2 ladies, and countless blessings since then... The church is made of imperfect people, who do not always do what is right, myself included, but we worship and serve a perfect God and Savior! Let's get our eyes off of ourselves and onto our Savior and allow Him to direct our gaze and our hearts to those He would have us to minister to...
"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort." 2 Corinthians 1:3-7













8 comments:
Excellent post. Hope you heal soon =)
It's the little things...a smile that brings peace, a nice comment, a phone call or yes, a hug. I know that kind of hurt and I know that it's the small things that make a difference. Yet in our pride or uncertainty we deny those that we are supposed to care about the healing they need. The little ways that we could show we care or the absence thereof make all the difference.
I love you and I am sorry that you were hurting and I didn't offer you my kind words.
Thank you for your kind words and your hug that day at the park when I was hurting. It helped! You are truly a special person in my life and I thank God for you!
Hi, Tricia! This is the 2nd post I've read today on this topic and I think it is such a great one that we all need to think of more often. We are all one body together, meant to be there for each other... loving, caring, praying, and encouraging.
I hope your wounds are beginning to heal. I know I would never imagine my palms to be so important. :)
Tricia,
This ministered to me deeply, more than you know. Right now, because of what I am going through physically, mentally and emotionally with my own body, and also with my husband's memory, etc., I feel as you did in this post. Sometimes even though I am married, I feel very much alone within the body because of the struggles that we have been facing as a couple for the past two years since my husband's open-heart surgery. My tendency lately, is to keep to myself and with God, and that's certainly not what He wants of me. Thank you for opening my eyes tonight.
I am sorry for your loss. I truly am and want you to know that even though we are far apart, I love you as a sister in Christ and like a good friend. My heart reaches out to you now and always in prayer, spirit and blessings.
I have a surprise for you on my post today. Stop over and check it out.
Hugs & Blessings,
Alleluiabelle
After reading this post my toe is hurting! LOL
I think sometimes we think because we are christians we will always know what to say and do. Then when something happens we don't have the words or we don't want to feel like a mumbling dummy trying to help but can't get the right words out. I hope that made sense.
When what we should do is forget about what we look like or sound like and step out there and lend a smile or hug...encouraging word for phone call. I am guilty of sometimes going in the other direction to avoid seeing someone hurt ..instead of facing them head on and offering support. I also think I do this because I too am hurting and I don't want to make it about me. All of this to say...
Great post...one I need to come back and read again and again!
Blessings!
Sometimes, our wounds may look minor on the outside, but hurt so deep ... to the inside.
Wonderful post. Beautiful insight.
Found you through Alleluiabelle.
God bless you, sister.
I have always loved teachings on the body of Christ. I always want to be motivated to reach out further and touch another life. This is a gospel truth I embrace. I'm with you, sister! You said it well and your scripture is right on. With the comfort we receive, we can give to others. I'm so glad your needs were met!
I found you through Alleluiabelle! What a blessing you are.
I love this post Tricia. It's so true, and so important. It reminds me of that Casting Crowns song (Third Day? someone else???) "If we are the body...." This is the theme of the new women's ministry we are starting up at church, and a huge need for the body to understand and start practicing.
Post a Comment