Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Lost Son...


Last week I took my children to the zoo, we had a wonderful time... all the animals were active and performing. We even found 2 baby turtles out crawling around that the boys got to hold for a few minutes, letting them crawl in their hands and up their arms. We had a nice picnic and enjoyed laying on a blanket in the sunshine.

All was fine until we were ready to leave. We were walking back towards the entrance and David was running ahead of me. He knew our rule, which is that he can go ahead of me as long as I can still see him. However, he decided to not abide by the rules, his way was more fun at the moment. So he ran on ahead, rounded a curve, which we rounded about 30 seconds later, and he was NO WHERE to be seen. I stayed calm, I thought he was just in front of us and we would see him when we took a quick left to go to the entrance. We took that left and he was still NO WHERE TO BE SEEN... panic began to set in, but I stayed outwardly calm because I did not want to get Paul upset... he had already said, "Mommy, I am worried about my brother."

We looked for him for about 10 to 15 minutes and I could not find him anywhere... then I began to panic, because I had no idea which direction I should go in. I was heading to the gift shop to ask if they could get someone to help me search for him when I see him walking with a stranger, holding his hand... the stranger said, "Is this your mommy?" David very calmly replied yes... he did not appear to be the least bit afraid!

I thanked the stranger profusely and asked where he had found him. He told me he had found David in the parking lot sitting on a curb! He had walked out of the entrance to the zoo, across the street, and into the parking lot!

We had a long talk about all the things that could have happened:
  • He could have gotten hit or run over by a car
  • He could have been taken by a stranger and never seen Mommy, Daddy, or Paul again
  • The stranger could have hurt him badly, and on and on...

I wanted him to understand the seriousness of the situation... which I still do not think he has grasped yet...


As I think back over this, the parable of the lost sheep keeps coming to my mind... It is from Luke 15:1-7

Now all the tax collectors and the sinners were coming near Him to listen to Him. 2Both the Pharisees and the scribes began to grumble, saying, "This man receives sinners and eats with them." 3So He told them this parable, saying, 4"What man among you, if he has a hundred sheep and has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open pasture and go after the one which is lost until he finds it. 5"When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 6"And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!' 7"I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.


What I keep pondering is did the sheep even know it was lost? It had once been part of the herd, but now it was no longer with the herd, it was missing. I do not think David realized he was lost or missing... He did not even comprehend that he was in danger. I find it interesting what the footnote in my Bible stated about this portion of scripture:

"...the shepherd who loses his sheep, does not give up the right of ownership. In the same manner, God is presented as still claiming His right of ownership even of those who are lost. When they are reclaimed, it is not He who becomes their Father or their rightful owner, but they become His again."


This brings me much comfort and encouragement... because I have friends and family members who have prodigals in their lives. Prodigals who were brought up in the church, who made professions of faith, and who at some point in their lives served God. My prayer is that they would allow God to find them, the God that is still their Father; that they would stop running from Him, and possibly even allow a stranger to lead them home... where they will become His again, hopefully to never stray again. When that happens there will be much rejoicing in Heaven and here on earth among friends and family... as I have rejoiced over finding my lost son!


Any thoughts... I would love to hear from you!

post signature

13 comments:

Blog is no more said...

Oh Tricia, I know how panicked you must have felt! A mother's love is like none other. A Father's love is like none other - He was watching over your son.

I love those verses! Everytime our children's pastor baptizes a child, he reads that parable. I can just picture the 'applause of Heaven' over a new convert. What joy!

Blessings,
Sharon

Alleluiabelle said...

Amazing! I couldn't imagine the feelings that you were feeling at the time when your little one was not in your site, no where to be found. Thankfully God was watching over Him and the stranger that He was with. Your site is very enriching to me and I love coming here. As you mentioned in your family, there are prodigals you are praying and hoping to come back to the Lord, I too, am praying for my son to come back to where He was in the Lord. He is the one who led me to the Christian church and I thank God for that.

Hugs & blessings,
Alleluiabelle

Meredith said...

He didn't even know he was missing... girl that's good! I am so thankful that a nice stranger helped your lost one!

Tracy said...

I can't imagine that panic that was starting to grip your heart, Tricia...I once lost sight of Brennan for just moments when he was about 3 years old at a very crowded event and instantly felt a panic unlike anything I'd ever known before (or since). Praise God David was protected.

I love your thoughts and parallel on the lost sheep. I believe there is truth in what you say..some aren't even aware they're lost.

As to the prodigals, I know several right now and I personally walked that road for a number of years away from the Lord. I still rejoice in the way He lead me back Home. I pray more fervently for those having been there myself, that they too will return. You're right, there would be rejoicing indeed!

Great post!

Tracy

Michele Williams said...

I am so thankful that was a NICE stranger!! I think this happens to all parents at one time... The Lord knew where he was the whole time and protected him!

I had a prodigal at one time... God is so good...It took several years, but she finally came back to the Lord! Praise the Lord!

Samantha said...

What a beautiful point. I love the thought you shared about wondering if the sheep knew it was lost.. I've never thought of that before.

Laurie Ann said...

I applaud your calmness in this and how God has turned this into a story with a very important lesson and some thought-provoking questions. I believe that we are the strangers that can lead God's lost sheep back. I believe that our example and teaching can truly turn hearts back toward Jesus and plant that seed that can be watered. What a touching post, Tricia.

Krista said...

Great post Tricia. I'm glad all worked out for the good and for the precious nugget of God's Word tht you were able to apply. Our God is Mighty to Save! He knew where David was and I know we can thank him for His protection.

Love you my precious friend!
Krista

DeeDee said...

Great post, Tricia...
I can imagine the panic... and even when you get home and think it over... all of the "what ifs" can really get to you. So thankful God provided just the right person to find him and bring him to you. So thankful!
You are a blessing to me!
~dd

Darlene said...

I have tears as I am reading this post. I remember a time when Andrea was a child that I couldn't find her at our ball park. When I finally found her...she couldn't understand why I was so upset... she said "I knew where I was the whole time". I hugged and laughed with her through my tears.

I too have not thought about the sheep not realizing they were lost.

"...the shepherd who loses his sheep, does not give up the right of ownership. In the same manner, God is presented as still claiming His right of ownership even of those who are lost. When they are reclaimed, it is not He who becomes their Father or their rightful owner, but they become His again."

I am so glad you added the footnote from your bible. I am so glad that HE is still claiming His right to those who are lost!!!
This gives me comfort today and encouragement to not give up!

Great post...I think it was for me!!!
Thanks for letting God use you!
Blessings!

Tea with Tiffany said...

Glad your lost son is found. What a scare! Thank you, Lord, for bringing him back safely.

And I understand the prodigal in many ways. One I was one. Two I have them in my family. I want all the lost to find their way home. What a party we would have!

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

So grateful the Lord protected your son!!! I could feel your panic...what sweet relief that He was returned to you unharmed.

Linda said...

I just read this story and I could relate. Every mother loves their child and is so tempted to be in a major panic if the child is lost.

Well I too have a prodigal in the family and I sometimes panic, and wonder if they will ever come back into the fold.

Your post was such a good reminder to keep praying and to keep hoping in the Lord and trusting in Him for my loved ones return.

What a good comparison! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Bless You!
Linda @ Truthful Tidbits