Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tuesday's Together in the Word!


Welcome to Tuesday's Together in the Word... We are a group of women reading through the New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs using the same reading plan and holding each other accountable. On Tuesdays we share what we have gleaned from our time of study in the Word. To join us and to read what others have to share visit DeeDee, we would love for you to join us!


Let's look at Acts 20:24-38, These were Paul's last words to the Ephesians...


24"But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, so that I may finish my course and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God.

25"And now, behold, I know that all of you, among whom I went about preaching the kingdom, will no longer see my face. 26"Therefore, I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all men. 27"For I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole purpose of God.

28"Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. 29"I know that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; 30and from among your own selves men will arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after them.

31"Therefore be on the alert, remembering that night and day for a period of three years I did not cease to admonish each one with tears. 32"And now I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified.

33"I have coveted no one's silver or gold or clothes. 34"You yourselves know that these hands ministered to my own needs and to the men who were with me. 35"In everything I showed you that by working hard in this manner you must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"

36When he had said these things, he knelt down and prayed with them all. 37And they began to weep aloud and embraced Paul, and repeatedly kissed him, 38grieving especially over the word which he had spoken, that they would not see his face again And they were accompanying him to the ship.


Paul knew, by the Holy Spirit, that he would not see the believers in Ephesus again, and his parting words to them would be well to be heeded by us today...

In verse 28 he tells them to "be on guard for yourselves and for ALL the flock." Why does he tell them to be on guard? We find that answer in verse 29, for "savage wolves will come in among you not sparing the flock," and in verse 30 he tells them that "from among your own selves men will arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after them." Has this and is this not happening in our world today? I have seen this first hand in my very own family - and it is devastatingly heartbreaking.


In verse 31 Paul warns again, "Therefore be on the alert", and he "commends us to God and to the Word of His grace which is able to build us up", not tear us down, and "to give us an inheritance among all those who are sanctified" (verse 32).

After encouraging the Ephesians and us to be on guard and to be alert, he encourages us, through his example, not to covet but to help the weak and needy; and he reminds us of Jesus' words - "It is more blessed to give than to receive."

Realizing these are Paul's last words to people he loves makes me stop and think, "What would my last words be to someone whom I love dearly that I would most likely never see again?" I would want them to count, to exhort, to encourage, to point that one to Jesus and the Word - because nothing, absolutely nothing and no one, can build-up, save, deliver, rescue, love, or sanctify us like the unadulterated Word of God and the pure and holy love of Christ.


This has been a very timely revelation from the scriptures for me, words which I needed to hear and let sink in; as it speaks to a situation in my life currently, for which I would appreciate your prayers.


Father God, I pray that you would help me to always be alert and be on guard against the savage wolves and against those who speak and teach perverse things to draw your precious ones away from your flock. I pray for discernment and for a deep understanding of your truth, and I pray that your Holy Spirit would instantly alert me when those "savage wolves" and false teachers come my way. I also pray that You would put Your words in my mouth to speak to those you bring across my path, words that would point others to You, to Jesus, and to the Word of Your grace, which is able to build them up. Thank You for Your precious presence in my life and for the gift of Your Word. In Jesus' name, Amen.

post signature

2 comments:

Blog is no more said...

I loved this section of Acts too and it does give us a warning to watch out.
Lifting you up in prayer today...

Sharon

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Thank you for sharing these important scriptures and heart felt insights, Tricia. I especially loved your words here: "because nothing, absolutely nothing and no one, can build-up, save, deliver, rescue, love, or sanctify us like the unadulterated Word of God and the pure and holy love of Christ."
What beautiful truth that is...there is NOTHING like His Word.

Bless you,
Tricia

P.S. If you have time, please read the post below my Tuesdays Together post if you visit my blog. A blog friend, Jennifer Ross, needs our prayers. Please share this prayer request on your prayer blog if you feel led. Thank you...and I'm praying for you, as well.