Friday, December 5, 2008

Favorite Holiday Foods...

I love all the delicious foods we get to enjoy during the holiday season, so I thought I would take the next few Fridays to share some of my favorite recipes to make this time of the year. Now, for me, the holidays would not be complete without sweet potato casserole and cornbread dressing. Here are my recipes, let me know if you try them and what you think!



Sweet Potato Casserole



3 cups mashed sweet potatoes (not canned)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 cup softened margarine
1/3 cup milk
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup margarine softened

Bake 4 to 5 large sweet potatoes and scoop out insides. Mash potatoes and add sugar, eggs, vanilla and other spices, 1/2 cup margarine and milk, mixing well (I do this in my mixer). Pour into a greased casserole dish. Mix brown sugar, pecans, flour, and 1/3 cup margarine to make topping. Crumble on top of casserole. Bake at 350 for 25 to 35 minutes.

I have made this ahead of time, all except for the topping, and froze it until I needed it.




Southern Cornbread Dressing





3 cups crumbled cornbread
2 to 3 eggs
2 to 2 1/2 cups crumbled dry bread ( I use a mixture of wheat bread and biscuits, that is what my grandmother did).
4 -5 cups turkey or chicken stock (I always use chicken)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 onion, chopped finely
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix breads, add raw eggs and other ingredients. Mix well. Have dressing really soupy, about the consistency of cake batter or thick soup. Bake in a greased 9 1/2 by 13 baking dish for about 40 minutes. Serves 10-12

And if any of you do not know how to make cornbread, here is the absolute best recipe ever!! Anyone who eats my cornbread brags on it...

Sour Cream Cornbread

1 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups self-rising cornmeal
2 oz milk
2 tsp baking powder

Combine the sour cream, eggs and vegetable oil, beat well. Combine cornmeal and baking powder, stir into sour cream mixture. Pour into a greased 10 inch iron skillet. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.


Do you have a favorite holiday food? I love trying new recipes, leave me a comment with your favorite recipe!



post signature

6 comments:

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

THanks for sharing these recipes

Melanie said...

Good Morning, Tricia! These all look so yummy. I may try the Sour Cream Cornbread... my family are all BIG bread lovers.

Congrats on winning Tracy's giveaway! :)

Peggy said...

Congratulations Tricia! Just in case you don't know yet, I'll refrain from more...but Tracy's waiting for you!

Jennifer said...

Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Kelly Ellison said...

I have attempted to make dressing serveral times and each time was a disaster. I have got to try this recipe. Wish me luck!

Mc Allen said...

this all sounds yummmy!! Thanx ,Now Im hungry, lol ;) LA