Monday, December 15, 2008

Another Holiday Tradition...

Gingerbread houses!! I guess you could say this is a tradition for our family, we made our 1st ones last year and have made them again this year, and the boys have had so much fun doing these that they will have to become a holiday tradition.


Last year we bought 2 kits, one for each child. James spent A LOT of time assembling the houses and getting them ready for the boys to decorate. The assembly was not the easiest thing in the world to do, but the boys were so excited when they could finally get their hands on them and start decorating.

Well, this year our I noticed that our local library was having a workshop for making gingerbread houses. You paid only $5 per house and just showed up to decorate, they did all the hard work and preparation! I mainly did this as a way to save a little money, as the kits I have seen are $10 each, so this way I could save $10. Well, let me tell you, it was the best spent $10 ever this year!

When we arrived all the houses were already assembled, the boys got to pick where they wanted the house on their little platform, and they hot glued it on for them. They even gave them an ice cream cone to decorate as a Christmas tree! There were probably 3 long tables filled with all different kinds of candies and such to decorate their houses with, my boys were in heaven!! I put the icing on for them, which was already mixed for us in big ziploc bags with a hole in the bottom for squirting the icing out, and they worked on their houses for probably a good hour. We were some of the last ones to leave and I had to make them stop working then!

Their gingerbread houses are now proudly displayed on our dining room table, although David's is missing a few pieces of candy... which explains this rash that keeps re-occurring on him this week (which I previously thought was the result of bug bites, but now I know it wasn't). It seems he has been eating the candy, which we were told was very old, which had had many people's hands on it (we all put back what we did not use so it could be used by others), and which has the icing on it that we were told not to eat because it had raw eggs in it! What ever is my child thinking!

So if you make gingerbread houses, make sure your child does not eat it!!









































































post signature

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad yours were a good experience. We experienced gingerbread sugar overload today and I am done with it!

Tracy said...

What a wonderful and fun tradition. I love gingerbread houses, but I've never tried making them. Looks like a great thing to try with my nieces and nephews.

Blessings,
Tracy