This morning during my quiet time a verse from Psalm 73 just really jumped off the page at me, and I spent most of the time on that verse. I feel led to share what God spoke to my heart this morning.
Psalm 73:25-26
"Whom have I in heaven but Thee?
And besides Thee, I desire nothing on earth.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
Can I honestly say as the psalmist said, "And besides Thee, I desire nothing on earth."? The NIV words it as "And earth has nothing I desire besides You." That is a mighty big statement, to be able to desire nothing of this world and only God. Can you say that you desire absolutely nothing, nothing more than God?
I made a list of earthly things that I desire: nice, pretty clothes, a mini-van, nice things for our home, a playground for our boys to play on out back, books, music, milkshakes from Chick-Fil-A, dinners out, nice, long vacations to places I have never been, etc (the list really could go on and on). But isn't that normal, to desire this and that, I mean, we are human and we do live on the earth.
Then I made a list of spiritual things that I desire: to have more of God's Word hidden in my heart, to be more like Jesus to my family and to the world, to be more consistent in praying through my prayer journal, to journal more consistently, to have a deeper understanding of God's Word, to be so full of the Spirit that the fruits of the Spirit are very evident in every role in my life, (this list also could go on and on.)
I realized that I do desire lots of things this world has to offer, but I also realized that the majority of the time that I am not driven by those desires. I do not spend lots of time sitting around thinking about this and that that I would like to have, and I do not want something just because others have it. You see, I can honestly say that I am content, with what I have and with who I am in Jesus. All of my needs are meet, and lots of my desires are graciously granted, not that I deserve any of them. What I think truly drives me is my desire to know God and to be known by God. The Lord is my life and I try to center my life around Him and not around this world. I learned the hard way a long time ago that the things of this world only bring you heartache, despair, and anguish. But God brings you peace, comfort, joy, love, strength, and hope! Who wouldn't want the things of God over the things of this world!!
I did a word study on the word desire, the Hebrew word is "chaphets" and it means to find pleasure in, to take delight in, to be pleased with, to have an affection for, to desire, to choose, to bend, to bow. So this week I will be examining myself, to see what it is that I take pleasure in, what delights me. Do I find lasting pleasure and delight in my Lord, my God, my Savior, or do I find fleeting and temporal pleasure and delight in the things this world has to offer? My prayer is that my desire for God would increase more and more, and that my desire for the things of this world would weaken and lessen.
So, does anyone have any thoughts you would like to share?
November 2019
6 years ago













4 comments:
Tricia, I love this post. I, too, want to desire God above all else on this earth. I've really been trying to examine my desires and focus on God and not the earthly material things. I have a little ways to go in learning to keep my focus continually on God, but I'm growing and narrowing in that focus more and more everyday.
Thanks so much for sharing this scripture today. Just what I needed to read tonight!
What a wonderful devotion, Tricia. I would like to know God more intimately and to be content with the way things are and with all that God has given me. I think most days this is true but other days I fall short. "Material Things" are given such a lofty position in our society, it's hard to stay out of the whirlwind. But we are to stay focused and constantly reevaluate our lives and desires, like you did and like you are challenging us to do. So...I guess I will pray about that and see what I desire this week. Right now, I am hungry for more of the Lord.
Thanks for sharing!
Hi, Tricia! Thank you for posting such challenging and inspiring thoughts! You have such a precious heart, and I enjoy reading what God is teaching you-- usually just annually in your Christmas letter, but now, much more often since I know about your blog!! :) Thank you for sharing your heart-- you have a wonderful gift for inspiring and encouraging others through your passion and love for the Lord! Love you!! --susan
What a beautiful (and somewhat challenging) post. I find I am content with all He has blessed me with (as far as blessings and material things), but when I consider how much time I truly focus my life on God, I have a long way to go! I do find the more I know Him, the more I desire to know Him, and that is exciting. This is great message to ponder. Thanks!
Blessings,
Tracy
Post a Comment