Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tuesday's Together in the Word!


Welcome to Tuesday's Together in the Word. We are a group of women reading through the New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs using the same reading plan and holding each other accountable. On Tuesdays we share what we have gleaned from our time of study in the Word. To join us and to read what others have to share visit DeeDee, we would love for you to join us! You can find a link to our reading plan on my sidebar.


This week's post is a bit different. I am not posting from the passages we have read together this week, although I did read them :) Rather I wanted to share with you how His Word brought me such comfort and peace...

This past week I have been dealing with some health problems that have been bothering me for a while, it seems they are getting worse and not better, and it is so frustrating...

I went to the doctor yesterday, they were very nice to work me in when I did not have an appointment. My doctor is a Christian, he has scriptures on the wall, Bibles in his waiting room, and worshipful music playing softly in the background. I sat down in there yesterday, after the rush of our morning activities plus dealing with my unexpected problems, and the sweet spirit in that room just brought me to tears... I sat there and cried in the waiting room, with 2 other ladies probably wondering what in the world was wrong with me... I felt like an emotional basketcase!

I had brought my Bible with me, and I stared reading in the Psalms, and the Lord brought such comfort and peace to my heart and mind... and more tears to my eyes, as the word's of the psalmist echoed the words of my heart...

I just wanted to share a few of the verses that ministered to me... how thankful I am that God's Word can bring comfort and peace in the midst of pain and hurting...


"Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation." Psalm 5:1-3

"Be merciful to me, Lord, for I am faint; O Lord, heal me, for my bones are in agony. My soul is in anguish. How long, O Lord, how long? Turn O Lord, and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love." Psalm 6:2-4

"I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders. I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High. ... The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you." Psalm 9:1-2, 9-10



I also wanted to share with you the power of praise... Sunday night as I was lying in bed trying to sleep but hurting too badly to really be able to go to sleep, I began praying to my Lord and Savior; and then I began praising Him in the midst of my pain. Even though I had pain, and did not feel like praising Him, I made a conscious choice to praise my Lord and my Savior... and you know what... while praising my King and my God, the pain lifted and I was able to sleep. How precious is our Lord and Savior, and how worthy He is of our praise, even when we do not feel like it...

post signature

12 comments:

danapate said...

I wasn't aware that you were going through some painful times right now. I will definitely be praying for you each morning in my quiet time. Pain is hard to deal with, physical or emotional, it shakes ones spirit, but you seem so strong. You are such an amazing witness for us all. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and heart with your readers. I learn so much from you. I grow so much from reading your blog. It seems that God teaches me so much through devoted Christ followers like your self! I hope you begin feeling better soon.

Dana

Melanie said...

Oh, Tricia.. your words hear are so beautiful as they remind us all that we should (and can) praise God even during the toughest of times. So very glad you did and that it made such a difference for you.

I hope you are feeling better and will pray for you in the days ahead. Love you!

Krista said...

What an awesome testimony of his faithfulness, Tricia. Know that I will be praying for your health concerns.

Thanks for sharing those verses.
Krista

Jennifer said...

Beautiful post that is overflowing with words of encouragement of God's faithfulness. It is all about choice...our choice to either waller in self-pity, our problems or we came praise Him in the storm and let Him take control.

Thanks for challenging my heart today.

I am praying for you today, Tricia.

Linda said...

Tricia,
You touched my heart with this post today. How special that God gave you relief from your pain as you were praising Him,..and then He allowed you to sleep.

It was so moving to read of you sitting there in the doctor's office reading the Psalms, and just being still and resting in the peace of the music. Yes, the tears flowed, but you were looking to God as your source, and He did not forsake you.

There is much comfort and help in the Psalms. I love to read them.

I am sorry that you are not well, and I will pray that God will bless you with His healing touch.

Thanks for sharing your heart with us today.

Blessings!
Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Meredith said...

sweet friend, I could almost see myself in that office with you, sensing the comfort and peace that you found in God's word. I had to go get a tissue. I am sorry that you are still having trouble.
Beautiful words from the Lord! and faithfulness! Praying!

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

What a beautiful, inspiring, encouraging post sweet Tricia!! Praising the Lord for His healing touch and the sweet rest He gave as you praised him in the midst of your pain. Beautiful faith...beautiful grace...beautiful God! Thank you for the encouraging word today, sweet friend. Lifting you in prayer right now...

Laurie Ann said...

I'm so sorry you have been in so much pain. I love how God has used His Word to minister to you and how you offered that sacrifice of praise. Remain faithful! Your little ones are learning from you. So are your big sisters out in blogland. :) Much love and prayers for your recovery.

Unknown said...

Tricia, so sorry you are still dealing with this! How Great is Our God that he hears our prayers and He remembers us in our time of need.

Alleluiabelle said...

Dearest Tricia,

I, too, am so sorry that you have been in pain with health issues. I will be praying for God's miraculous healing. How awesome to hear that the pain lifted as you praised Him amidst your pain and suffering. Just awesome!

I love you dear one,
Alleluiabelle

DeeDee said...

well... I posted a comment yesterday and then my computer shut down.... so I did not know if it posted or not.
Guess not huh?

Power of Praise! that is good.
I am praising Him with you. And Praying for you

Joyeful said...

Tricia, I will be praying for you. I had no idea...
Your praise in the midst of your pain is such a powerful testimony. God is doing a mighty work in you, dear sister.