
Welcome to Tuesday's in the Word... We are a group of women reading through the New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs using the same reading plan and holding each other accountable. On Tuesdays we share what we gleaned from our time of study in the Word. To join us and to read what others have to share visit DeeDee, we would love for you to join us!
I will start out with this passage from Luke chapter 22...
And there arose also a dispute among them as to which one of them was regarded to be greatest. 25And He said to them, "The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who have authority over them are called 'Benefactors.' 26"But it is not this way with you, but the one who is the greatest among you must become like the youngest, and the leader like the servant. 27"For who is greater, the one who reclines at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who reclines at the table? But I am among you as the one who serves. 28"You are those who have stood by Me in My trials; 29and just as My Father has granted Me a kingdom, I grant you 30that you may eat and drink at My table in My kingdom, and you will sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel. Luke 22:24-28
The part that jumped out at me through this passage was, "You are those who have stood by Me in My trials;" verse 28. Jesus is faithful to stand by me in my trials. Am I faithful to stand by Him, to stand up for Him when this world "tries" Him? Those who had stood by Jesus had the pleasure of partaking of this special Passover meal with Him... and they also will get to eat and drink at His table in the kingdom of God.
We move a little further along in Luke chapter 22...
"Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has demanded permission to sift you like wheat; 32but I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned again, strengthen your brothers." Luke 22:31-32
I found it very interesting that Satan had to demand permission to sift Simon Peter like wheat - I had never noticed that part before. Yet, Jesus had already specifically prayed for him and for this very sifting that Satan wanted to do... before it even happened, before Satan had demanded it, (at least this is my interpretation). How very comforting that our Savior knows what is coming our way and can pray for us accordingly before we even know to pray about it! Jesus prayed that Simon's faith would not fail, and that when he turned back he would strengthen his brothers.
I find this comforting; Satan has to have permission, and at times he has to demand that permission to test and try us. However, before it happens Jesus prays for us! He probably prays for us in much the same way - that our faith would not fail, and that when we have made it through the testing and trials that we would strengthen our brothers.
Am I and are you using the testings and trials the Lord prays us through, and the things He teaches us through them to strengthen our brothers and sisters in Christ?
Let's keep going a little deeper in Luke chapter 22...
47While He was still speaking, behold, a crowd came, and the one called Judas, one of the twelve, was preceding them; and he approached Jesus to kiss Him. 48But Jesus said to him, "Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?" 49When those who were around Him saw what was going to happen, they said, "Lord, shall we strike with the sword?" 50And one of them struck the slave of the high priest and cut off his right ear. 51But Jesus answered and said, "Stop! No more of this." And He touched his ear and healed him. Luke 22:47-51
The part from this passage that caught my attention was the slave of the high priest whose ear was cut off. He was touched and healed by Jesus... he had come to help with the arrest of Jesus, yet Jesus touched him and healed him. I wonder, did it change his life... did the touch of the Savior have a transforming impact on his heart and life?
Lord, I pray that every single touch from you would change me! I do not want to stay the same, I want to be transformed by your touch and your healing power in my life!
One more little stop, let's head on over to Proverbs chapter 3...
1My son, do not forget my teaching,
But let your heart keep my commandments;
2For length of days and years of life
And peace they will add to you.
3Do not let kindness and truth leave you;
Bind them around your neck,
Write them on the tablet of your heart.
4So you will find favor and good repute
In the sight of God and man.
5Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
6In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.
7Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the LORD and turn away from evil.
8It will be healing to your body
And refreshment to your bones. Proverbs 3:1-8
This is a passage I have read innumerable times. I try to read through Proverbs every month. It is easy to do, whatever the date is, that is the chapter you read... I have been doing that for years; it is a little something my husband shared with me right after we were married... however, I saw the 1st verse of this passage in a different light this time.
My son, do not forget my teaching,
But let your heart keep my commandments;
We are to keep God's commandments with our hearts... not just with our minds. I think when we try to keep God's commandments with our minds, and not with our hearts, not out of love for our God, they become burdensome. But when we keep them with our hearts, we do them out of love and they are a joy to do. And look what happens when we do keep God's commands with our hearts...
For length of days and years of life
And peace they will add to you.
Pretty good isn't it?
Go down to verse 7 with me...
Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the LORD and turn away from evil.
We are not to be wise in our own eyes. We are not to be led by what we can physically see... we are instead to fear the Lord and turn away from evil. When we fear the Lord it is a holy fear, a worshipful fear, a reverent fear... the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge (Proverbs 1:7), the fear of the Lord is to hate evil, pride and arrogance and every evil way, and the perverted mouth (Proverbs 8:13), the fear of the Lord is the instruction for wisdom (Proverbs 15:33). When we truly fear the Lord He gives us knowledge and wisdom, and we are able to turn away from evil... and look what happens when we do that...
It will be healing to your body
And refreshment to your bones.
Healing to our bodies and refreshment to our bones! What a blessing we receive, and all we have to do is fear the Lord!
God's Word is so good! Just spending time in it definitely brings healing to my body and health to my bones!! It is nourishment for my soul; it is nourishment for the life of Christ in me! If you are not consistently spending time in His Word, I encourage you to join us in our readings this year, you will not be sorry you did. It just might change your life! And just for your convenience, I have added a link to my sidebar that will take you to our reading list... won't you join us?













4 comments:
You know, somehow, I keep coming back to your blog...I know your blog name grabbed me, but it is so nice to see scripture and be encouraged by it. Thank you!
Good Tricia - I think that several of us paused at the story of Peter and his sifting experience.
Also, I too for years, read through Proverbs every month. And it never ceases to amaze me that there is ALWAYS something new. Oh the precious power of the Holy Spirt in our lives as we read/study the Word of God.
Thank you for your insight and joining us in this journey.
Sweet Blessings,
DeeDee
Oh, Tricia...God's word IS so good! Thank you for this wonderful post...especially:
"Lord, I pray that every single touch from you would change me! I do not want to stay the same, I want to be transformed by your touch and your healing power in my life!"
AMEN! I am praying that prayer with you for my own life! Love this post.
Blessings,
Kelly
Great post!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Darlene
Post a Comment