My Lord has been speaking to me through this verse for about a week now. It all started last week when I saw a gorgeous picture put to this verse for a WFW post. It seemed as if my Lord spoke to me so gently and said, “Is your gentleness being seen by all, but more importantly is it being seen by your children and your husband?”
Ouch! My God was asking me if those that see the real me inside my house are seeing my gentleness. My honest answer was “Not all the time Lord, and lately not much at all.” It is not that I have not wanted to be gentle, but I have had a huge struggle with letting the gentleness out and keeping the frustration and irritation away. It is like Paul says in Romans (I think), I do what I do not want to do, and that which I want to do I do not do (my paraphrase).
So I have struggled the past couple of weeks with wanting to be gentle with my family (during those times where it is soooo hard to be gentle) rather than reacting out of frustration and irritation. I do have 2 4-year olds! And they definitely are testing their mommy right now and trying to help God develop some character in me, with all the disobedience, backtalk, and disrespect!! However, God would not have given them to me to raise if He had not planned on equipping me to be a Godly mother.
God convicted me that I was trying to do it all myself. I was trying to be supermom and superwife out of my own power. I do not think I was consciously saying “I can do all this myself.” I just wasn’t taking the time to stop when the difficult times would arise during my day and call on Him for help then and there. I was having my quiet time in the mornings very faithfully and consistently, but then I was forgetting to call on Him in my times of need throughout the day. So for the past couple of days I have made a conscious effort to call on Him when the difficulties arise, when one or both of my children have a fit, when they respond to me disrespectfully or with a bad attitude. I have asked Him to fill me to overflowing with His precious Holy Spirit, for wisdom in knowing how to deal with the situation, for a gentle and quiet spirit, and for understanding of my children (why are they acting this way). And God has answered! As He always does if we acknowledge Him and call upon Him! God has given me a gentle and quiet spirit with my children, wisdom in knowing how to deal with them, and He has given me peace instead of strife and frustration.
And just today while I was doing the dishes and thinking about all of this, it is as if my Lord spoke to me ever so gently again and said, “If you will just find your contentment in Me and not in how well your children behave or act, then you will have peace and will have a gentle and quiet spirit, and your gentleness, which is a fruit of my Holy Spirit in you, will be evident to all.”
Isn’t our God just awesome? Have you heard Him speak to you lately? Are you listening?













8 comments:
This was a beautiful post. It is a challenge to live in gentleness isn't it? I'm not in the preschool stage any longer. I am in the teenage state. I have 3 of them currently. It is a challenge to be gentle in the midst of all the flesh that erupts around here, including my flesh.
Your post was really sweet.
I found you through Tiffany's blog.
Blessings,
Julie
This IS a beautiful post. I LOVE WFW for just this purpose. Like you, that image and scripture has stayed with me. Wow, there are days that Gentleness is a real challenge! If I'm completely honest, I would have to say I've blown a couple of opportunities this week to show my gentle side, rather than the frustrated side, or the tired, cranky side. Thank the Lord for his grace, and thank You for sharing this.
Blessings,
Tracy = )
P.S. Thanks so much for your sweet comments about my snow hearts. I'm thrilled the Lord is using it to encourage others. = )
Wow, Tricia! I think this post is great for anyone with children. Some days it is so hard to be gentle. I know from personal experience that if I will take a deep breath and then ask God for his guidance, his wisdom in dealing with the situation that I will respond in a gentle manner. However, then there is that human side that tends to get in the way much more than I would like.
Thank you so much for the reminder that the best way is always to take that deep breath and pray first!
Have a great weekend!
First of all I love the new look since I was here last! At least I think it's a new look? Anyway, fantastic looking blog and fantastic post. I was just thinking today that it's not about who, where, what I am... but WHOSE I am. Period. Very freeing and empowering!
Tricia...
p.s. I just discovered your other comment linking to my WFW post...I'm thrilled this spoke to you so deeply and honored that you would link it back to my post...thank you!
Tricia,
Your blog is just beautiful. Both you and Elisa did a fabulous job designing this together. I am so happy to have been a tiny part of what the Lord is doing through you in the blogosphere.
I pray that the words you post are what He puts on your heart and that many many women are touched by Him through you.
In His Love, Joanne
I just got the chance to sit and get caught up on your blogs. This blog was the exact one I needed to hear today especially as summer begins.
I love the new look! Also, that was a wonderful post. You are one of the most gentle people I know! Your gentleness is evident to me. It was fun walking with you Friday night! Love you, friend! Sista Krista
Post a Comment