Thursday, March 6, 2008

Sweet times of prayer...

Last night I led my youth girls Bible study on prayer. We are doing the book, "A Young Woman's Call to Prayer" by Elizabeth George. We are basically through the "meat" of the book, and the remaining 4 chapters are really just some suggestions to help grow your prayer life. Since we didn't have lots of material to cover in the lesson, I thought we would spend a larger amount of our class time in prayer together.

After going over our lesson I explained to the girls that we were going to spend some extended time in prayer, and no one complained (as they did the first time I made them pray out loud.) I guess they have figured now that since it is a class on prayer they might as well do just that, and pray. Anyway, I explained that we were going to go around one by one, first doing praise and adoration prayers to God, then prayers of thankfulness, followed by prayers of petition for one another and ourselves. Before starting our prayers of praise and adoration, I told them to take some time to quietly confess their sins before the Lord, making sure their heart was clean so they would have unhindered fellowship with our Lord.

So our prayer time began, with some soft music playing quietly in the background. I just want you to know that my heart was so touched by hearing the heartfelt and sincere prayers of these young girls. That room was flooded with the presence of God and He moved among all of us last night. It was so precious to see and hear the Holy Spirit working and moving among us. There were some big hurts and fears in that room last night. One girl is experiencing a breakup with a boyfriend of over a year, one girl is facing some major surgery, one is trying to make a major decision, so wanting it to be a God-honoring one; one girl is dealing with the possibility that her grandfather may die, and another is dealing with tough situations at home. These girls opened up their hearts to God and to each other. They were able to give God thanks for some very tough things that have happened, and they all were desiring to seek God and His will and to know Him better. There were lots of tears, (and I had only one tissue!) but also lots of joy and peace.

It was a very sweet time in the presence of God, and my heart was so encouraged that these girls are obviously learning and desiring to pray. After praying together, it seemed our group was more bonded, closer, and more wanting to minister and care for one another. It was just a precious evening, one of those I don't think I will ever forget.

Please pray for these young girls, we have 3 more weeks together, and will have more times of prayer like we have last night. Pray that they will feel comfortable praying to our Heavenly Father, and that they would be drawn to a lifestyle of prayer. Thanks!

8 comments:

Jenifer said...

Wow! I am so proud of those girls! I am also so proud of you :) How sweet to read how weary you are one day and then for God to show you how lives are being changed because of you! God is so good and knows our needs. How awesome it is to know you are helping raise up the future of our church and teaching them how to pray! I am praying for you.... I am praying for your class!

Anonymous said...

That was truly an AMAZING night!! I 100% agree that the Holy Spirit was moving! It was one of the most exciting times I've had in a long time! Thank you SOOOOO much for all you do! You are an outstanding example! Thanks!! Luv ya!

Jennifer Rochester ~Phil 1:3 ~

Anonymous said...

As the mom of two of your girls, thank you so much for the time you take to share and teach them. There are so many times that they need to hear things from wonderful, Godly women like you that we at home may forget to say or they may forget to hear.

We all love you and your family. We truly appreciate you for the time you invest in our girls.

Darlene said...

What an amazing story! God is so good!! I am so glad you shared this with us. By teaching these girls how to pray you are teaching them a tool they will use the rest of their lives. I am proud of you for following God's lead in your life.

DeeDee said...

Thank you for sharing such a precious time with us. You are having such an impact on their lives. (No wonder Satan was attacking you so much the day before - He would love for you to feel overwhelmed and to quit!) Keep on Keeping on...God is using you in mighty ways!
Love you Gal!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!

Yankee said...

This is a wonderful ministry. Our youth are the future. Just stopping by from Blog Party 2008.

Anonymous said...

How precious it is to hear young women lift their voices up to God. I too teach Jr High girls and am always touched at the honesty & desire to become godly women. They are swimming upstream in our society, but they are learning that Christ gives them all the strength they need.