The world does not always understand our need to be still. The world tries to make us go, go, go and do, do, do. At times in my quest to be still I have felt a bit like an alien, like others do not quite understand my desire and my need to be still, especially with my Lord. And I have wondered if I am going over the top in my quest to spend more time with Him and with my family rather than doing other "good" things.
God always knows our thoughts and He knows what is going on in our hearts... and He knows when we need words of encouragement - He sent me some today!
As I was reading my daily reading in a little devotional given to me by someone dear (you know who you are), the Lord spoke directly to my heart! Here is the devotion for the day... may it encourage someone else out there who longs to be still with the Lord.
I am your Father-God, listen to Me! Learn what it means to be a child of the everlasting King. Your richest duty is devotion to Me. This duty is such a joyous privilege that it feels like a luxury. You tend to feel guilty about pushing back the boundaries of your life to make space for time alone with Me. The world is waiting to squeeze you into its mold and to crowd out time devoted to Me. The ways of the world have also warped your conscience, which punishes you for doing the very thing that pleases Me most: seeking My Face. Listen to Me above the clamor of voices trying to distract you. Ask My Spirit to control your mind, for He and I work in perfect harmony. Be still and attentive in my Presence. You are on holy ground. (from Jesus Calling, by Sarah Young, page197)
I pray this encourages and speaks to someone as it did to me today... may you do what you need to do to make time to be still with Him. You will be eternally thankful that you did!













5 comments:
Wow... just what I needed today! I am on a similar journey myself. The Lord has been talking to me for quite some time now about this very thing... slowing down and being still. I am FINALLY doing more than just thinking about it. These words are so encouraging to me today. THANK YOU!!
The someone is spoke to...was me! The words of the devotion could have come from my own heart. I am often asked what I do with my time..with my days - now that I have an empty nest. So often I feel I owe apologies for not being "so busy" - but I thank God for the time He has given me to "be still and know"!
Thanks for this great encouragment!
Thanks for the encouraging words. I will make more time to be still with Him.
I long to be more still with him too. Thank you for reminding me that it is ok!
I love this book. I also listen and pen the words I hear. They are so life-giving. God speaks to our needs. He sees our hearts.
Post a Comment