As I read Genesis chapter 27 (this is the chapter where Jacob deceives his father Issac and receives his blessing rather than Esau), I was struck by the fact that Jacob's mother Rebekah encouraged her son to be deceptive. She listened in while Issac spoke to Esau about preparing him a savory dish so that he could bless him before he died. Then she hastily went to Jacob and said,
"Behold, I heard your father speak to your brother Esau, saying, 'Bring me some game and prepare a savory dish for me, that I may eat, and bless you in the presence of the LORD before my death.' Now therefore, my son, listen to me as I command you. "Go now to the flock and bring me two choice kids from there, that I may prepare them as a savory dish for your father, such as he loves. Then you shall bring it to your father, that he may eat, so that he may bless you before his death.' " (verses 6-10).
Jacob questioned his mother, wondering how he could pull this off. However, she told him basically not to worry, she had a plan... and it was a plan of more deception. Later, she deceives Issac even more, all to try to protect Jacob from the anger of his brother Esau over the deception which caused him to not receive the blessing of his father. For in verse 46 she says to Issac, "I am tired of living because of the daughters of Heth; if Jacob takes a wife from the daughters of Heth, like these, from the daughters of the land, what good will my life be to me?" As a result, Issac sends Jacob, with his blessing, to Paddan-aram, to the house of Bethel, to find a wife.
As I read this and reread it, I began to ponder... What do I teach my children through the things I do or don't do, the things I encourage them to do, and the things I tell them? Do I teach them to live deceptively or truthfully? Do I teach them to live selfishly or selflessly? Do I teach them to treasure Jesus and His Word? Do I teach them to walk in the grace of God and to extend grace to others?
I do not want to be like Rebekah. I do not want to encourage my children to go down the wrong path, I do not want to encourage them to lead selfish, greedy lives. I desire to lead my children to live a Godly life. I desire to impart to them a hunger and thirst for God and His Word, I desire to live every day in way that points them to Jesus, and I can only do that through His power and His strength, through the indwelling of His Holy Spirit. How thankful I am for the precious Holy Spirit of God! How I pray that He would guide me, empower me, and work through me day by day, moment by moment...












3 comments:
Wonderful thought Tricia. Praying for you as you train up your children in the way that pleases God. Love you, Vicki Pounders
Thank you for sharing this wonderful lesson the Lord taught you. I need it! Love you! Chrisie
I really enjoyed reading this. It reminds me of the motto/lifestyle our family adopted not too long ago...JOY- Jesus first, Others second, Yourself last. (based upon Luke 10:27) Mind you, we have been teaching our children how this lifestyle does not require you to be a "doormat" for others; rather, it encourages you to live a life unselfishly while putting the Lord first. This motto has especially helped our second child who has chosen to disobey at times but has gone to her room to think and has come out apologetic on her own saying, "Mommy, my chose Jesus first." To hear our children say and do this without prompting is truly a blessing. I am thankful to hear other parents seeking the same for their children. You and James are wonderful parents...blessings for you and your years ahead with such wonderful boys...
Post a Comment