Wednesday, June 24, 2009

An empty cup... slowly being refilled...

Hear my cry, O God;
Give heed to my prayer.
From the end of the earth I call to Thee,
when my heart is faint;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For Thou hast been a refuge for me,
A tower of strength against the enemy.
Let me dwell in Thy tent forever;
Let me take refuge in the shelter of Thy wings.
Psalm 61:1-4

I have been a bit moody and irritable the past few days... which is why I have not posted, I just did not feel like it.

Today I think I realized what has been wrong with me... my cup has been sapped dry; not a drop to be found anywhere. I have given and given and given some more, so much so that I have absolutely nothing left to give. I have been longing for some extended time with my Lord, but "stuff" has gotten in the way and prevented me from some much needed prolonged time at His feet. Today I was able to sit at His feet, for almost an hour a half, uninterrupted, no phone calls, no interruptions from the kids, no doorbells ringing, just me and my Lord... and I can tell my cup is beginning to be refilled.

I honestly do not know how it got so drained, other than the fact that I really have not said "No" to lots of things that maybe I should have said "No" too. Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad things, they are all good things. But they are not good when they prevent me from getting my cup filled, or when they drag me away from precious time with my family and from my personal time with my Lord... I need to take time to be refilled so that I can give out of the abundance of my cup. So this week I have said "No" to every night-time activity that would have taken me away from my family... and I have made the boys nap every day so I could get some much needed rest and spend some much needed time sitting at His feet... it has been wonderful!


I have been able to spend some time reading a couple of books that I have really felt the Lord leading me to pick up and read, but haven't had time due to "stuff"... I just wanted to share a bit from "Don't Waste Your Life" by John Piper. These quotes really made me stop and think... and I am still thinking and praying on them...

We waste our lives when we do not pray and think and dream and plan and work toward magnifying God in all spheres of life. God created us for this: to live our lives in a way that makes him look more like the greatness and the beauty and the infinite worth that he really is. (page 32)


We were made to savor God - and savoring him, to be supremely satisfied, and thus spread in all the world the worth of his presence. Not to show people the all-satisfying God is not to love them. (page 33)


The really wonderful moments of joy in this world are not the moments of self-satisfaction, but self-forgetfulness. (page 33)


God loves us by liberating us from the bondage of self so that we can enjoy knowing and admiring him forever. (page 35)


So I encourage you to make sure you take time to stop and spend time at His feet, allowing Him to refill your cup so that in all your giving you do not run dry. I am not committed to be much more careful in committing myself to things that are going to take me away from my primary priorities at this season in my life... being His child, and being a wife and a mom. This week has been proof to me that I have been over-extended and I do not intend to allow that to happen again... I want God to stretch me and not the world...

post signature

11 comments:

Blog is no more said...

Hey Tricia,
Please know I am praying for you... I really understand where you're coming from - my cup is just about empty as well. It is our VBS week and I too am not in the Word as much as I need to be. I lead the snacks so all my time has been spent in the store or at the church kitchen getting ready for the night.
I've got to find that book! Sounds like a good read.

Tanya said...

Wow! I've been there and done that. I like your perspective on things. I'm glad you have had time to sit and be with the Lord. We all need to do that, more often than we do. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to reading more!

Tanya

~Trina~ said...

I haven't been in touch with the blog world much lately. I've missed reading your posts. I can certainly identify with your words today.

May God bless you with extra measures of time to sit at His feet in the coming days.

Unknown said...

Oh, Tricia. I can so relate. I have been so irritable and spent for the past few days, just dragging. I called out, I pushed all else aside and He came and filled me up as well. He is good. All the time. Nothing else can compare.

Tracy said...

So glad you were able to catch up a bit with the Lord and spend some sweet, uninterrupted time at His feet. It's amazing the difference it makes in our spirit, isn't it? How we need our daily portion of grace from His endless supply!

Love & blessings,
Tracy

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

I completely relate with where you are right now and thank you for reminding me of the cure- time with Him!

Joyeful said...

Oh wow!! I have felt like this so many, many times--just day to day "things" so often drain my cup. But time with Him is so refreshing! I absolutely love those quotes--I just may have to read that book!!

Thank you so much for praying for my brother, Tricia!

sharon brobst said...

Tricia I really needed this reminder this morning! I read this book quite some time ago and it made a huge impact on my life and how I think about many things...how quickly we forget lessons we've learned.

Oh how I need more time at His feet.

Jennifer said...

Hey Tricia! I really needed to read this tonight. I haven't been blogging much at all over the past 2 months. "Things" and just life has drained me of all available time and energy.

I haven't spent enough time lately at His feet either and I know my cup is running on fumes too.

Thanks for reminding me who fills my cup and that I need a refilling.

((HUGS))

Heaven said...

Praying for you! Love those verses...

Heaven

Alleluiabelle said...

Hi My Dear Friend,

I wanted to stop over and say I love you sweet one. Because of my husband's illness and my own that I deal with, I've been kind of zapped lately, but like you, he keeps on refilling us as we spend the much needed time with Him.

My prayers are with you.

Love, Blessings, Peace & Hugs,
Alleluiabelle