Friday, January 4, 2008

A Moment

We had a sweet and precious moment at breakfast this morning and I thought I would share it.

We were eating breakfast, all 4 of us. We get to do that since James doesn't have to leave for work until around 8:30. I was eating some really good strawberries that I got at Publix earlier this week, and offered some to the boys. They declined them, of course. But then I started telling them about how my Granny and Maw-Maw used to take me to pick strawberries when I was a little girl. They looked at me rather odd, and I explained to them that Mommy had a Granny and a Maw-maw, like they have a Granny and a Grandmother.

Then David looked at me and asked, "Where are they?" I replied, "They are in Heaven with Jesus." David asked me "why?" I wasn't quite sure what to say, I don't know that they understand death, we have never really talked about. I just looked at James, and he answered for me and just said that they had died. David asked again, "Why?" Oh, that famous question!! I told him that they had just gotten old and died, and that we all will die someday. Then David said, "Did Daddy die?" Now what prompted that, James was right there with us! I told him no, of course.

David sat there and thought for a few minutes, and then asked me, "Did they die on the cross?" Now I just thought that that was precious! You see, we have talked about death, the death of Jesus. They know that Jesus died on the cross and that He died for our sins, though they do not grasp the gravity of that right now, so they related the death of my grandmothers to the only death that they know about, the death of Jesus. I then shared with them that my Granny and Maw-maw did not have to die on the cross, because Jesus had done that for them so they could go to Heaven and be with Him. And that was the end of it, he just continued eating his waffle and then got down to go play.

Oh, to be a child! But you know what, I am! I am a child of the King!! And I love it!!

No comments: