I am reading a book called "Stepping Heavenward" by Elizabeth Prentiss from 1869. It is from the Lamplighter Rare Collector Series. It basically is the journal of a girl from her mid-teenage years on. I have found that I can relate to her on many things, specifically that she battles with being selfish rather than selfless, and often frustrates herself because she does those very things that she wishes she would not do (makes me think of the passage from Romans). Anyway, a couple of passages have really made me stop and ponder them and think about my life and I wanted to share them. Here they are:
This was advice to Kate from an older, godly lady who is very ill, regarding that fact that Kate's father-in-law & sister-in-law have come to live with her and her husband, and it seems that nothing she does pleases them, so that they are constantly criticizing her.
"We look at our fellow-men to much from the standpoint of our own prejudices. They may be wrong, they may have their faults and foibles, they may call out all that is meanest and most hateful in us. But they are not all wrong; they have their virtues, and when they excite our bad passions by their own, they may be as ashamed and as sorry as we are irritated. And I think some of the best, most contrite, most useful of men and women, whose prayers prevail with God, and bring down blessings into the homes in which they dwell, often possess unlovely traits that furnish them with the best discipline. The very fact that they are ashamed of themselves drives them to God; they feel safe in His presence, and while they lie in the very dust of self- confusion at His feet they are dear to Him and have power with Him."
More advice from the same lady, from a book she quoted, called "The Imitation of Christ".
"Four steps that lead to peace.
Be desirous of doing the will of another, rather than thine own.
Choose always to have less, rather than more.
Seek always the lowest place, and to be inferior to everyone.
Wish always, and pray, that the will of God may be wholly fulfilled in thee."
It has taken me reading these over and over, letting my mind and heart digest them, to get a "deep" understanding of what she is saying, if you know what I mean. As I think about myself and the things I do each day, there are frequently several things in my day that "drive me to God". Things that I don't want to do, and don't desire to do, but I often do them away; like getting frustrated and irritated with my children and husband, not responding in a loving manner, etc. And when they "drive me to God", and I pour my heart out before Him, He is so sweet to comfort me, encourage me, and overtake and empower me to be the mom & wife that He has called me to be. For any good that I do do, is only the result of a mighty God working in and through me by His mighty Spirit.
So, what things in your life "drive you to God"?
November 2019
6 years ago













No comments:
Post a Comment