Do Not Fear...
When I am afraid, I will trust in You...
God's Word is very timely... oftentimes it is an entire passage that ministers to me. Other times, it can just be a phrase, or a portion of a verse that God uses to comfort, encourage, or guide me. Today I was comforted by a multitude of "Living" snippets...
Today started off well, but a bit different, as I headed off to church bright and early by myself. I was scheduled to greet guests in our visitor parking prior to the 8 o'clock service. I had pleaded with my husband to let me go early alone, then he and the boys could come in time for the 2nd service and we could all go to the service together... I didn't want to miss any of the service today, it was our Christmas Worship Concert by our wonderful choir and orchestra. Typically when I serve in visitor parking I just slip into the service a bit later when I am finished greeting guests. He agreed with my plan...
I had a nice time of worship and prayer in the car on the way to church this morning, enjoying a cup of coffee as I drove. I enjoyed serving with our Membership Minster, and was blessed to meet a vibrant and joyful lady visiting our church for the first time today. When my greet time was over I browsed through the bookstore and enjoyed visiting with a few other people who were "in between" things...
The first service ended and I went to get seats for my family... in the general area where we normally sit. The service started at 9:30, my family was not there yet... no worries, James is not always the most punctual person. (He would agree with this statement). Ten minutes passed, still no family... I sent a quick text, and kept my phone in my lap, on silent. Ten more minutes passed, another text sent, still no reply...
Needless to say, I was beginning to feel a bit fearful... We were 20 minutes into the service, no sign of my family, and no response to my texts. I was unable to truly worship... my heart was pounding wildly, my hands were shaking, and I was on the verge of shedding a pool of tears... 30 minutes into the service, still no sign of my family. Our pastor gets up to begin the sermon, and I slip quietly outside with my phone. I call James' cell phone, I text again, I call the house... still nothing. I did not know what to do.... so I went back into the service. The worst case scenario was playing out in my mind... where they in a horrible car crash on the way to church, were they all wounded, would I see them again...
Now throughout the service, snippets of God's Word and snippets of the lyrics from the songs, were ministering to my heart...
- "Trust in me,"
- "Do not fear,"
- "I am with you,"
- "You are never alone,"
- "The hope of the world"
- "He holds all things together"
- "He is the promise, He will not leave us in the dark,"
- "In Your presence we find our strength,"
- "You are over everything,"
I knew that whatever today held my Lord and Savior would be with me. He would not leave me alone; He would carry me through the days that He has already written for me... but honestly, I was overwhelmingly fearful. I felt that I could crumple into a heap of tears on the floor. I did not want to have to walk through the worst, I did not want to have dark days, I did not want a nightmare to become a reality that I would have to walk through... who does??
The service ended, and still no word from my family. I left the service promptly and quickly walked to my car. I called once more, still no answer, and left a message on his cell phone... I locked my door and began the drive home and the tears began to fall... then my phone rang, it was James and they were all okay! They were late to the service and he had his phone off, they had been unable to find me in the crowd...
After lunch today we read the next portion of the book we are reading for Advent, Tabitha's Travels, A Family Story for Advent. I will share with you a portion, it was very timely...
Fear is a strong emotion that keeps us from enjoying life. Sure, sometimes there's good reason for our fear; sometimes bad things do happen to people when they don't deserve them. Other times, like with Tabitha at the inn, we're in danger and don't even realize it.
We don't really know what lies around the next corner or within the next year, but there is one thing we can know: Jesus will be right there with us, protecting us, guiding us, or simply helping us endure, no matter what.
Surely God is my salvation: I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. Isaiah 12:2
Give your fears to God - fears about the future, fears about other people, fears about yourself. He'd love to take your fears and give you peace and joy in return. Why not let him? (page 52)
Do you know this Jesus who can handle all our fears? I hope you do...













No comments:
Post a Comment