Thursday, July 12, 2012

Hanging onto the Words of Jesus

During my time in the Word this morning I read the following:
And He entered the temple and began to cast out those who were selling, saying to them, "It is written, 'And My house shall be a house of prayer,' but you have made it a robbers' den." And He was teaching daily in the temple; but the chief priests and the scribes and the leading men among the people were trying to destroy Him, and they could not find anything that they might do, for all the people were hanging upon His words. Luke 19:45-48
The first thing that struck me as I read this passage was, "for all the people were hanging upon His words." I had never noticed this in this passage before, although I know I have read this portion of scripture countless times.

In my mind, I pictured people gathered around Jesus, eyes intently on Him, hanging on to His every word. Listening so intently that they were practically able to repeat verbatim every word He spoke. They were soaking up all that He had to say.

Then I went back and read the verses before this verse as I wanted to see the context in which this was written. And what I saw was very revealing... Jesus had entered the temple and He became so upset at what He saw happening in God's temple that He began casting out those who were misusing the temple grounds for their own purposes and greediness... I am sure He made quite a scene. I have seen it portrayed in movies and it was not pretty or nice, Jesus was angry, this was His Father's house, meant to be used as a house of prayer. Yet, people who were coming to make sacrifices were being taken advantage of...

What got my attention, was that in spite of all the people who were bound to be angry with Jesus, in spite of the chief priests and scribes and leading men trying to destroy Jesus, there were so many people hanging onto His every word that those wanting to destroy Him could do nothing to harm Him. The Amplified Bible reads this way, "For all the people hung upon His words and stuck by Him,".

Do we hang onto Jesus' words today?? Do we stick by Him no matter what?? Or are we swayed by the voices of this world and the agenda of those with unrighteous plans...

 Just something to ponder...

post signature

No comments: