Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Complaining....


Welcome to Tuesday's Together in the Word, we are a group of women reading through the Word and sharing what the Lord is teaching us... head over to DeeDee's to join us and to read what others are learning!


God is currently sending me the same message through several different avenues...

  1. I am studying the gospel of John with a group of ladies on Tuesday mornings, and the boys are studying John also in their children's class...
  2. I am doing Priscilla Shirer's study, One in a Million, about our journey into the Promise Land...
  3. And in homeschooling my children, we are reading through the Old Testament, and are currently reading about Moses leading the children through the wilderness to the Promised Land...

Through all of these different avenues, God is speaking to me about complaining... or rather about not complaining.

Complaining is a sign of a discontented heart... it shows that we are not content with how God has provided for and blessed us. And a discontented heart is usually not a thankful heart...


Complaining, over and over and over again, kept many of the Israelites from ever entering the Promised Land. The Lord became so fed up with the Israelites complaining that He chose to punish them by not allowing them to enter the Promised Land... I do not want the Lord to become so fed up with my complaining that He does not allow me into the Promised Land.


In pursuing "no complaining", our eyes have to shift off of ourselves and onto the Lord. We are to focus solely on the purpose for which God has us here on earth, and that is to be a light and a witness for Him, just as John the Baptist was. John did not focus on himself, he focused on Jesus, talked about Jesus, and He pointed others to Jesus... By focusing on Jesus and what He has called me to do, I take the focus off of myself, which spurs me to brag and praise on my Jesus rather than complaining about petty things.


I am asking my Lord to quicken my heart and mind to any complaining in my spirit, whether I verbalize it or just think it... and I am asking Him to help me to have a contented heart, to give thanks for all the many provisions and blessings He has given me... I want to focus on serving Him and sharing Him. I do not want my time here to be wasted in complaining... I want to make it to my Promise Land!


post signature

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I needed this on this very morning. Thank you friend.

Meredith said...

I hope you chuckle when you read my post. We all have days of discontent I am sure. Thank you for being a friend who seeks the Lord. Love you!