I am reading another Lamplighter book, on loan to me from a sweet and precious friend... It is called the Basket of Flowers, and I have just started it, only finished the first 2 chapters... but already I can tell it is packed with spiritual encouragement.
The author has begun to describe the father of the young girl whom the book is about. How he desires to begin his day with God, and desires to give God the first and best of his day. He rises before dawn to do this, so his other work does not suffer... It is said this habit, one of rising early to spend time with God, is most essential if one wants a spiritual frame of mind... and then to quote the author:
"The life of that man is but poorly filled, who cannot find one or two hours to discourse with his heavenly Father without interruption." Basket of Flowers, page 21
One or two hours without interruption... This sounds heavenly to me... one or two hours to sit at my Savior's feet and soak in His presence and in His Word... without interruption. I used to have this, daily lengthy times with my Lord, often more than once a day... in my single days. And I desperately miss it... miss prolonged times in the prayer and in His Word. I still spend time with my Lord in the quiet hours of the morning, yet I always seem to be yearning for more of Him... looking for the next opportunity to have some extended time with Him, just me and Him.
I think we can all find that time. It is a choice... ignore facebook... don't go wander around the mall or Target wasting time and money on frivolous things... listen to sermons in the car or while working around the house... play praise and worship music while traveling or cleaning and worship and praise Him while we work and go.
I have also found that I long for friends who spend time with Jesus. I want to talk about the Word... I want to talk about what God is showing me and doing in my life and the life of my family. I do not want to talk about the latest reality TV show or to hear the latest gossip about the lady up the street. Friends who spend time with Jesus refresh and encourage, they are real and transparent, they pray for and with you, and they are there when you need them, even if you do not ask... they are there, just like Jesus is.
So go spend some extended time with Jesus... see if you don't leave hungry for more, and find yourself going back more and more, because you have discovered that Jesus can fill your heart and soul like nothing in this world can. He is ALL we need... do you spend time with Him??












No comments:
Post a Comment