Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Listening... And Obeying... Even in the Middle of a 5 mile run!



This morning I went for a 5 mile run... I am running a half marathon this weekend, and was focused on running my 5 miles and getting back home to begin my day as wife, mom, and teacher. 

Well, I think I was about a mile and 1/2 into my run when I passed a young lady out for a brisk walk. I waved and said, "Good Morning!"  Not long after passing her I decided I was hot and wanted to shed my jacket, so I stopped to take it off and tie it around my waist.  While doing this I saw her coming down the hill  and I felt the Spirit whisper to me, "Ask her if she knows that Jesus loves her".   I kind of shrugged it off, but the Spirit did not stop, He was still whispering in my heart, "Ask her." 

I tried to talk myself out of... I was in the middle of my run... I would have to turn around and backtrack, what if she thought I was crazy??  So, I started running, away from her... but then, I heard His voice again and I turned around, I forced myself to obey... (Why is it so hard sometimes??)

So I approached her and asked her if I could ask her a question, she said yes...

"Do you know that Jesus loves you?"

She looked at me, but could not speak... her eyes were welling up with big tears that just poured out of her eyes and down her cheeks.  It was as if I saw something break in her expression, like the love of Christ was breaking off a hard exterior that she did not let many get past.

I put my arm around her and said, "The Lord wanted me to stop and tell you that He loves you very much." 

She continued to cry...

I asked her if I could pray for her...

She said, "Yes, please pray for me to have strength.  I am going through so many hard things right now." 

So, right there, in the middle of the street, in a slight drizzle of rain, with clouds overhead and the wind blowing around us, I prayed for her...

I know that Christ encouraged her with a reminder of His love today.  And Christ encouraged me by the fact that He can use me right where I am, if I have a listening ear and a willing heart.  He can use me, and He can use you, even in the middle of a 5 mile run, on a cold, windy morning, in a slight drizzle of rain...

Are you the one He wants to use??  Or are you the one who needs the reminder that He loves you so very much??


 post signature

No comments: