Last week we read a story that has really stuck with me, and I wanted to share a portion here with those of you who still stop by for a visit, in spite of my lack of consistency!
The story takes place in South Africa, and is about a little boy who begged to go to the mission with the missionary, because he wanted to learn about Jesus and learn to read the Bible. This required the little boy leaving his family and walking for 9 weeks to get to the mission! What commitment and dedication on the part of a child! I can not imagine doing that as an adult...
Once at the mission, the little boy enthusiastically learned all that he could... he was like a sponge, soaking up as much as his little brain could contain. The following passsage is what spoke to me and has really had me thinking... he has just learned about a dust pan, something he has never seen before...
"Thank you!" called the boy as he hurried past on his way to school. Slipping into his seat, he waited for class to begin. As soon as the teacher called his name, Tisese rose to his feet. "Teacher," he told the missionary solemnly, "I want you and everyone to know that my name is no longer Tisese, 'the animal which runs through the woods'. Now that I am a Christian, my name shall be 'Dust Pan' forever!"
"Dust Pan?" the teacher exclaimed, surprised. "Why ever would you want your name to be Dust Pan?"
"Because, Teacher," the boy replied earnestly, "I was just passing your house and saw your wife sweeping, with that tool called a dust pan in her hand. She carried all the dirt out of your hut with it. I want to be a dust pan, too, so that when I go home I may carry out the dirt from the lives of my father, my family, and all my friends. I want to be a Dust Pan for Jesus!"
And Dust Pan did just that! When he went back home, it took time, but he eventually led his whole family to Christ... even his father who was one of the most famous witch doctors and killed almost 600 people a year! What a powerful story!
So, what would you change your name to in order to symbolize what you would like to do for Jesus? I have been thinking and thinking about this... what common, everyday object would I want to be called if it symbolized what God was using me for in His Kingdom. And I am still thinking... what about you?












3 comments:
Loved the story. I love missionary stories of all kind. When I was young there was a set of missionary book that I think were jungle something. Anyway, I loved them and read them over and over.
what a great story!
Thanks so much for sharing it with us! That sounds like a wonderful book!
Love ya!
~dd
Love it that you read this to the boys and I love the simple picture seen through the eyes of a child!
Post a Comment