"Nevertheless, God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus."
2 Corinthians 7:6 NKJV
And as I like to do, I then looked at it in the Amplified Bible...
"But God, who comforts and encourages and refreshes and cheers the depressed and the sinking, comforted and encouraged and refreshed and cheered us by the arrival of Titus."
Now, I am very familiar with 2 Corinthians 1: 3-4,
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God."
...and have often in the past clung to the fact that God is the God of all comfort. I have spent time thinking about how God uses us to comfort those who go through trials and valleys that we ourselves have gone through, and have even been used by God to share that comfort He has provided for me with others.
But what struck me today was that God sent comfort through a specific person, through Titus. He used Titus to comfort, encourage, refresh, and cheer those who were depressed and were sinking... it made me wonder, who is it in my life that God wants to bring comfort, encouragement, refreshing, and cheer to through me? Am I being obedient to His promptings to do so? Am I willing and available to go to the depressed and the sinking... the people these words describe are not always the most fun and enjoyable to be around. Often times they can draw others down into their depression and their pits, but if we are filled with God's Spirit and His love, God can use us to lift them up... to bring them comfort, to speak words of encouragement, to do things for them that make them feel refreshed and that cheer them up.
What about you? Is there someone God wants to send you to... to bring them His comfort, to encourage, to refresh their spirit and cheer their heart? Will you go?












3 comments:
How I want to be a Titus! I want others to be sheltered by my presence. Your questions were convicting. Thank you for encouraging us to comfort others.
You are welcome Pamela... I pray that God would use you this very week to be a Titus to someone, to share His comfort and encouragement...
Blessings!
You are a Titus more often than you realize I am sure! Thank You!
Post a Comment