Thursday, July 1, 2010

Thankful Thursday

Trust in him at all times, O people;
Pour out your heart before him;
God is a refuge for us.
Psalm 62:8


I have not blogged much at all lately... just have not had the time or the motivation to do so...


We have finished our 1st year of homeschooling and are now in the throes of a hot, humid, southern summer...

I had many plans for this summer, much I wanted to get done that I had to put on the back burner while we were homeschooling.  I have a list of books I want to read, a list of projects around the house that I desire to get done, a Bible study on covenant that I desire to delve into, a portion of scripture that I want to commit to memory (Romans 12), some planning I want to do ahead of time for our school year coming up, I wanted to plan lots of times of fellowship with friends, and I wanted to get some rest and have some lazy days... 

However, my summer days so far have not been exactly what I had in mind...  I feel as if my whole 1st month of summer has been stolen from me...

Many of my days have been filled with severe pain, pain that has kept me from doing much of what I wanted to do.  Pain that has clouded my mind and my thinking and that has caused me to go from thriving to feeling like I am just surviving... and that is NO fun!  So very few things on my to do list have been checked off...

However, my Lord reminded me that He is a Redeemer, He is My Redeemer!  And He can and will redeem everything... so I am praying that He would redeem my health, that He would restore me to wellness and wholeness.  And He reminded me this morning, that in the midst of my pain I am still to be thankful... not that I have been unthankful, but I have not been as quick to give thanks for the many things in my life that I owe Him thanks for.  Even in the midst of my pain and my days of feeling as if I am just in survival mode, I still have MUCH to give thanks for...

I read this this morning in  a short devotional by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and the Lord spoke to me and encouraged me through it...

There's nothing wrong with being totally honest with God, coming before Him with our hurts and intercessions, imploring Him to help and heal.  


But prayer is more than asking.  It is a vehicle of worship and gratitude.  Think about the overall makeup of your prayers.  Are they out of balance in favor of asking and seeking?  Are they top-heavy with complaints about your current circumstances?  Or do your prayers include expressions of gratitude?


These are important questions to ask of ourselves, not to discourage honesty or deny reality, but to help train our hearts to see all that concerns us within the context of God's goodness and blessing.  We must not forget his benefits while dealing with our problems.  Even before His answer is in sight, thank Him - for being there, for listening, for working all things according to His will.


As surely as our "supplications" and "intercessions" are specific, heartfelt, and time-consuming, so should our "thanksgivings" be.  Pave the way with gratitude, and see if prayer "without ceasing" doesn't become your experience instead of your exception.


So in light of that, today I am thankful for:
  • My husband, who is so patient and understanding with me when I do not feel well, even when he does not feel well himself...
  • For my children, who pray for me, and who snuggle up with me and give me hugs and kisses when I do not feel well...
  • A mother and father-in-law who lift me up to the throne of God...
  • A new doctor I am going to who desires to help me achieve wellness rather than just treat the symptoms...
  • Being a stay-at-home mom - I can not imagine having to get up and go to work feeling the way I have felt some mornings...
  • The Word of God... His Word is healing to our bones; His Word gives strength and comfort...
  • The privilege of prayer... many nights when I have been awakened with pain I just lay there and pray...
  • Friends who pray for me and call me to check on me...
  • Hope that one day I will feel well enough to run again for His glory...
  • His grace, which is sufficient for my every need...

So I am giving thanks and looking forward to once again living life abundantly as He continues His work of redemption in me...



post signature

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Tricia, I had no idea. I am a horrible friend. And you even brought me dinner. I will be lifting you up in prAYER.

Melanie said...

Tricia, I was so thrilled to see a new post from you pop up in my reader tonight, but then so saddened that you have been feeling so badly lately. Please know that I'll hold you close in my prayers.. hope this ends soon for you.

Alleluiabelle said...

Tricia,

Please know that I am praying for you. As I and my husband have dealt with physical pain for sooo long, I pray for a miracle for you too my friend. You will continue to be in my prayers every day.

Love you,
Alleluiabelle

Stacy@hiswaynotmine said...

Tricia,
I am so sorry for the pain that you have been experiencing. I have been out of blogland for quite some time and have just stepped back in and become reacquainted with old "blogging" friends and sisters in the Lord.

I will be praying for you. That God would heal you and deliver you from the pain. And pray that as He calls you to cast your eyes upward that He would fill your heart with His abundant love and joy, despite the difficult circumstances before you.

May He grant you that time of rest this summer.

Much love in Christ,
Stacy

Jennifer R said...

Im glad you are back blogging! Im praying for you!! :)

JEN

Meredith said...

Missed your blogging. Still praying for you.
"a vehicle for worship"--I love that! Great list of thank yous.