Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thankful Thursday


Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good!

Psalm 118:1

Every week lately I have the intentions of doing this Thankful Thursday post, yet life has been busy, and computer "stuff" gets pushed to the bottom of my to do list. When I do have time to do computer "stuff" I am too tired to even look at the computer! However, for today I really did want to share what we are doing with the boys as we approach Thanksgiving.

We have started our Thankful Box! We did this a couple of years ago... we all really liked it, and it gave more meaning to our Thanksgiving holiday. Every evening after dinner we all share one thing from our day that we are thankful for, I write them on a notecard and stick them in our Thankful Box. Then on Thanksgiving Day we will get them all out and read them. It is a great way to cultivate an attitude of thankfulness in our family.

We just use an empty kleenex box that we have decorated and have put the verse above on, "Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good." Psalm 118:1

So today I thought I would share what we have all been thankful for so far this week:

James
grocery stores
that my Chick-Fil-A cup did not get thrown away
sunshine

Tricia
rest time in the afternoon
the opportunity to go to Bible study today
that through Jesus Christ I am an overcomer

Paul
that God gave me my cat and for grandfather and grandmother
thankful to have a Mommy & a Daddy
thankful that Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins

David
I am thankful for Jesus and God
for my brother and all the things God gave me, and my mommy & daddy
I am thankful for Tommy Moon



Do you have any neat ways of cultivating an attitude of thankfulness in your family? What are you thankful for today? For more TT posts go here.

post signature

11 comments:

Nancie said...

Hi Tricia,

So glad you can join us at Thankful Thursday this week. Wow, a Thankful Box sounds great! So wonderful that your family can count your blessings and store them in a Thankful Box. What a great way to cultivate a thankful heart together. May God continue to shower your family with His love, mercies and blessings daily and fill your Thankful Box to the brim!

Thanks for sharing with us. Take care and have a blessed day!

God bless,
Nancie

Denise said...

So very sweet.

Denise said...

So very sweet.

i said...

I know what you mean about dealing with the computer stuff when life away from the pc screen and keyboard gets so hectic!

What a great idea to have a thankful box! Your children sounds so adorable! Paul must really love his cat :-)

Many blessings to you!

Tea with Tiffany said...

We do a similar thing but in journal form. I love to look back at our memories of gratitude. Being thankful has helped me so much. I used to be so negative. Now I get excited to wake up and tell God "thank You."

Good to peek in on you again, Tricia. I'm behind on saying my hellos on blogs. You are special to me.

DeeDee said...

such a good idea...
and what precious lists from all of you.
Sweet!

DeeDee said...

thanks for commenting...am so trying to get back on track. Life is busy huh?

Unknown said...

Oh Tricia,

These are just precious.. precious.. Save them forever. I have a thankful table cloth. Kinda the same thing.

Neat... neat... Thanks for sharing your idea. BIG hugs

Meredith said...

whew, that last one especially made me tear up. I love this idea and I might need to borrow this one day, not sure John Ryan would get it just yet. I am thankful for you and your sweet family!

Jennifer said...

We did this often with my children when they were young - one year we had a thankful tree and wrote our blessings on leaves that we taped to an outline of a tree I had drawn on coloring paper. We all really liked that one. When I was going through chemo, to keep everyone thinking "right" we had a blessings box (same idea) that was really helpful. Hope it is a wonderful season for all of you!

Melanie said...

This is a great idea, Tricia! I've been looking for a good idea like this to do around Thanksgiving. Mind if we "steal" your idea and try it out here, too?