Do you like to know that you are appreciated, loved, and cherished?
I certainly do... there is just something nice about someone you love doing something nice for you, going out of their way for you, to make you feel loved and special. Especially on those "important" days... like birthdays, an anniversary, Mother's Day, and really any gift giving occasion, such as Christmas or Valentine's Day. What is even more special is when someone goes out of their way to make you feel special for no reason at all... just to let you know you are special to them.
As I have been attempting to prepare for Christmas this year I have been thinking about this... and about making Jesus feel special, especially at Christmas, when He left the glory of Heaven, and became flesh and dwelt among us.
I also have been thinking about how we feel when we are not made to feel special... when someone you love forgets that birthday or that anniversary, or maybe just doesn't make such a big deal out of it as you would for them, so you begin to feel less special... less appreciated... less loved...
As I have tried to make my shopping list for gifts for this one and that one, I have found that I just really can not get into the "Christmas spirit" as the world portrays it this year. I feel that much of what our world does for Christmas does not make Jesus feel special at all, much of it does not even point to Jesus at all... it points to ourselves... to greed, to selfishness, to worldliness...
The busyness of this season often times takes away from Jesus rather than encouraging others to focus on Him. We rush from this party to that one, from one store to another, spend extra time and money decorating and getting our house to look like Martha Stewart's, and often times spend money we do not have to buy things for people that they really do not need or even want... how does any of this make Jesus feel special?
My desire is that others could take a peek into my life and be able to see how special Jesus is to me... but can they do that? Is the way I spend Christmas a reflection of how special my Lord and Savior is to me, or does it look just the same as the world's way of celebrating Christmas?
What do you and your family do during Christmas to show Jesus that He is special to you? What have you seen others do that shows that Jesus is special to them? I would love to hear...

3 comments:
I decided that my nativity needs to be the first thing out as far as Christmas decorations go. I spent time this year showing JR each piece and talking about the story of Christ's birth. I hope he understands. Never too early to start I'm sure!!
I feel the same way as you this year. In fact, that has been by prayer for a week. I know Christmas is the season for giving; however, most of the people we give to do not need it but would be offended if we gave nothing. I want to spend more time with family and focusing on the true reason for the season rather than rushing like most others. So, we did stuff the first two weekends and from here out it is just family and spending time. Our way to give to others this year was to give gifts to the children of Haiti in the name of some of our family members. We sponsor one and send her a gift every year and this organization is a Christ centered organization who keeps the focus... our gifts to these children who truly needed was the first thing we did...and will continue to be for each year hereafter. It is a good way to start the year and the girls love to shop for others rather than themselves. Sorry this was so long...but my heart is with you all the way!
I haven't checked your blog in a while....WOW, powerful and humbling post...really puts things into perspective when you think that most of that Christmas "busyness" we encounter does nothing to bring glory to the reason we celebrate at all! We started doing a Jesse tree this year in lieu of other "fun" Advent activities we used to do with the kids. it's a meaningful time for us as a family to put the focus where it should be and the kids are really enjoying it and don't miss all the other "stuff" we used to do. Now how do I get myself out of the Santa/Magic Elf quandary? It's true that the older you get, the wiser you become! Merry Christmas, Tricia!
Post a Comment